Help with outdated Acer Ferrari 3000LMI.

Bambi79
Bambi79 Member Posts: 2 New User
Can anyone help with finding the manual for an outdated Acer Ferrari 3000LMI, please? I want to eventually change the operating system to a Linux version as it seems a shame not to use this attractive laptop.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    That one is getting close to 20 years old now, IIRC. I'm not having any luck finding info on it anyway. How much memory is installed on yours? How big of drive does it have? Most of the laptops from that era have IDE drives instead of SATA, so upgrading that might be problematic. You will want to choose a Linux distribution that's pretty low resource to get reasonable speeds out of it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,886 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Bambi79 said:
    Can anyone help with finding the manual for an outdated Acer Ferrari 3000LMI, please? I want to eventually change the operating system to a Linux version as it seems a shame not to use this attractive laptop.

Your Ferrari 3000LMI came with Win-XP and the AMD Athlon 2500+ (1.867 GHz frequency, FSB 266 MHz, L2 Cache 512KB) that does not have 64-bit support and with a 60GB hard drive, and a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics chip and with the PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM RAM and came with 512MB of DDR333 SDRAM RAM that can be upgraded to a max of 2GB (2x 1GB into its 2x sockets) of the same type of RAM , that is if you can get them?  

The most appropriate 32 bit Linux OS that you can install on this laptop are as follows; Debian, Zorin OS Lite, Bodhi Linux, Alpine Linux, BunsenLabs Linux, openSUSE (Tumbleweed), SliTaz GNU/Linux, AntiX Linux, Trisquel GNU/Linux and the Porteus. The best and top rated 32bit for your laptop is in the order I’ve listed them. Btw for a guide of "The Best 32-Bit Linux Distributions" look at that link.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    That one is getting close to 20 years old now, IIRC. I'm not having any luck finding info on it anyway. How much memory is installed on yours? How big of drive does it have? Most of the laptops from that era have IDE drives instead of SATA, so upgrading that might be problematic. You will want to choose a Linux distribution that's pretty low resource to get reasonable speeds out of it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,886 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Bambi79 said:

Your Ferrari 3000LMI came with Win-XP and the AMD Athlon 2500+ (1.867 GHz frequency, FSB 266 MHz, L2 Cache 512KB) that does not have 64-bit support and with a 60GB hard drive, and a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics chip and with the PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM RAM and came with 512MB of DDR333 SDRAM RAM that can be upgraded to a max of 2GB (2x 1GB into its 2x sockets) of the same type of RAM , that is if you can get them?  

The most appropriate 32 bit Linux OS that you can install on this laptop are as follows; Debian, Zorin OS Lite, Bodhi Linux, Alpine Linux, BunsenLabs Linux, openSUSE (Tumbleweed), SliTaz GNU/Linux, AntiX Linux, Trisquel GNU/Linux and the Porteus. The best and top rated 32bit for your laptop is in the order I’ve listed them. Btw for a guide of "The Best 32-Bit Linux Distributions" look at that link.

• Bambi79
    Bambi79 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you to StevenGen, and billsey  for your replies, which were helpful. Bambi79