Laptop Throttles to 12 Watts randomly at game bootup Acer Aspire 5 A514-54G-57C7

Unkn
Unkn Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Acer Aspire 5 Laptop Throttles to 12 Watts randomly at game bootup even after at 70-80C. GPU stopped

Model No- A514-54G-57C7
The bootup of any game uses cpu usage. And my CPU will be forever 12 watts or sometimes even 10 Watts ( Below lowest rated tdp ) While sometimes it locks on 14 watts, 15 watts and 17 watts. Its random and if it throttles down, I will have to play till end with low fps and it wont change even after i close the game/app. Ram usage is always on 95-99%
Dedicated GPU is lowest used so weaker intel gpu is getting used more. Even after the app saying it is using mx350
CPU- i5 1135g7
RAM- 8GB
GPU- MX350
Storage- Nvme SSD 512 GB, 108 GB available

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If laptop is more than a year old, the heat sinks probably should be repasted with Kryonaut or ArcticMX4

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    No it isnt, i got it on may 5
  • JackE
    Arrange for warranty repair service.

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    Ive did and they are *****. Went away without fix :(
  • JackE
    Go to this link. Choose your country. Click support button at top of country page. Enter your serial number id. Follow directions to arrange for warranty repair at a different service center. You should at least have the heat sinks re-pasted to the CPU and separate GPU.

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    i have got my motherboard replaced once so the serial no is liike 123456788901234567890 something
  • JackE
    If it was replaced by an authorized ACER service center, open the elevated command prompt. Enter 'wmic bios get serialnumber'. The  result is your motherboard's serial number id (SNID)

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>> ive did once but reverted back in this laptop  >>>

You didn't reveal this in this thread? How did you revert back to Win10? Did you do an ALT+F10 factory cold boot reset from the hidden reset partition on the boot drive? If not, you have probably corrupted the system on the boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    I upgraded to windows 11 and then reverted to 10 using the option in settings but idk what you saying
  • Unkn
    GPU usage and cpu usage is severly low, i get 30 fps on rocket league 1080p low. My ram is nearly on 97% usage so it might be a ram bottleneck. Without ac on in my setup room, my pc will throttle to 12 watts, irrespective of cooling pad and of the temps being around 70-80. I'm pretty sure its problem with everyone else. Intel gpu is weak in this and will give 2100 score in firestrike default while mx350 is alright at 4200. I've seen about 4 posts regarding that and you even have replied in that. So unless there's a performance update ( bios or decreasing ram usage most probably ) I cant do anything. My friend has dual channel pc same model and same performance :( 
  • JackE
    Your machine should be using the discrete nvidia GPU when playing  power intensive games, not the integrated Intel CPU/GPU. Both  GPUs appear under Display Adapters folder in Device Manager without any red or yellow driver warnings.

Try this. Shut the machine down. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden factory reset partition hasn't been corrupted, a factory reset menu should appear to allow resetting the machine to a factory fresh state.

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    i dont want to reset, i've did twice because of performance issues 
  • Unkn
    My ( Aspier XXXX ) Is trash and idk why but my pc never benches with any gpu. GPU runs at 100% usage yet fps is like 2-3, once it was 40-50  and

• JackE
    Your model has two GPUs.  One integrated Intel CPU/GPU. And one separate nvidia GPU. Two GPUs should be in Device Manager display adapter folder. If only one GPU is showing, then the nvidia gaming GPU is probably NOT working. Do you understand?

Jack E/NJ

• Unkn
    Both works. Now I fixed the gpu issue, it was stuck at 139 MHz core clock. But now My CPU Cranks Upto 90 Celsius when I play games, also CPU frequency goes to 0.2 GHz :( 
  • Unkn
    ill try an enginner to reapply therm paste