I think my Factory USB recovery drive has become corrupted Nitro 5 AN517-53

21stCenturyTech
21stCenturyTech Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Nitro Gaming
So when I first inserted the factory USB drive into my machine, the BIOS correctly detected the USB and let me boot to it. Something went wrong during the process and it gave me a partition error, stating that a partition couldn't be created. Obviously stuck in this interface, I rebooted the machine only to find that the USB had disappeared from the BIOS and when checking the USB from the partition editor within Windows, indentifies that the USB still has data on it, but that the main partition is now unallocated. Is all hope lost now with me being able to use this USB?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    What computer do you have? What OS was installed on it? Even if the flash drive has failed you should be able to reinstall, albeit without some of the Acer specific apps...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 21stCenturyTech
    21stCenturyTech Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    billsey said:
    What computer do you have? What OS was installed on it? Even if the flash drive has failed you should be able to reinstall, albeit without some of the Acer specific apps...

Acer Nitro 5 AN517-53

I have my own USB drive as well which has a fresh copy of the Windows 10 installation media on it so if all else fails I can boot from this and cleanly reinstall windows. The only is here is going to be that the 3rd party apps and drivers that were installed by the manufacturer won't be present and me installing the drivers may prove to be problematic. As many of the drivers control critical functions such as the fans, I really don't want to be messing with something that I lack an understanding on.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    OK, so we need to look at the USB flash drive to try and tell if it's bad or not. Do you have another system you can use for diagnostics? You say the Disk Management shows the USB still has data, but the main partition has been deallocated? Do you mean the main partition on the flash drive or the main partition on the computer? The system partition on the computer would show as blank or unallocated if the install went a certain way through... Most often there is only one partition on a flash drive, which is where I'm confused...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.