Acer Nitro N50-620 Freezing Updated everything I can find.

RodP1
RodP1 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Nitro Gaming
Windows 10, latest build. Acer Nitro N50-620 freezing every so often. No BSOD, just no response, and anything running stops. Requires a hard reset to get going again. Updated everything I can find.

Any thoughts / solutions?

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎8/‎11/‎2021
OS build 19044.1387
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is there anything in the windows event log at the time of the freeze (after a reboot :D

It could be a graphics driver issue maybe 🤔
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    Leostat said:
    Is there anything in the windows event log at the time of the freeze (after a reboot :D

It could be a graphics driver issue maybe 🤔
    Nothing remarkable - the last time it happened the last event I can see is an "audit success" at 13:30. The log then shows the reboot at 14:31

The last activity under Applications is a Defrag event at 1300 and the last system event is it recording Uptime at 1200

There is a message at 1431 with
    "The previous system shutdown at 1:50:28 PM on ‎24/‎11/‎2021 was unexpected."

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @RodP1,

How much memory space left in your HDD ?
  • kjgo
    kjgo Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi there, did you manage to find a solution? I have the same issue and from my local computer repair store, many people have this issue with this model 
  • Cakey1x
    Cakey1x Member Posts: 1 New User
    RodP1 said:
    Windows 10, latest build. Acer Nitro N50-620 freezing every so often. No BSOD, just no response, and anything running stops. Requires a hard reset to get going again. Updated everything I can find.

Any thoughts / solutions?

Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 21H2
    Installed on ‎8/‎11/‎2021
    OS build 19044.1387
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​
    same I rebooted my computer and I launched up google and it got a blue screen error
  • Maukka
    Maukka Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I had the same issue before, I hoped it was a sowfware issue as the computer was brand new. I updated to windows 11 a couple days ago and my pc hasn't frozen since. I can give an update in a couple of days if it has done it again. Let me know if you have found any other solutions.
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

Maukka said:
    I had the same issue before, I hoped it was a sowfware issue as the computer was brand new. I updated to windows 11 a couple days ago and my pc hasn't frozen since. I can give an update in a couple of days if it has done it again. Let me know if you have found any other solutions.
    It's still happening, but only for one person at home in general. Oddly, mainly using Chrome to log into web based activities. I think it might be graphics related, but not sure. Next stage will be to open the case and make sure the cards are seated properly
  • Maukka

Tinkerer

Maukka said:
    Update: Didn't fix the issue for me either, just happened again today. Seems to happen mostly at idle on desktop or when using a browser for me as well. 
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

Maukka said
    Update: Didn't fix the issue for me either, just happened again today. Seems to happen mostly at idle on desktop or when using a browser for me as well. 
    I've seen a reference online to the Nitrosense utility turning the fans down too low. I'm going to try running it for awhile with the fans set at max
  • Maukka

Tinkerer

Might have found a solution: I changed my graphics drivers from GeFroce Experience to the Studio-drivers from the gaming-oriented ones after reading about it online. So far 3 days in a row without any issues, usually my PC would freeze every 1 to 2 days. Haven't noticed any significant effect on performance in games either. Added a picture of where to switch the drivers in case it helps:

Again I will update in case this doesn't work, I will also report this to Nvidia and Acer if it seems to be the cause. 
  • Maukka

Tinkerer

Maukka said:
    Might have found a solution: I changed my graphics drivers from GeFroce Experience to the Studio-drivers from the gaming-oriented ones after reading about it online. So far 3 days in a row without any issues, usually my PC would freeze every 1 to 2 days. Haven't noticed any significant effect on performance in games either. Added a picture of where to switch the drivers in case it helps:

Again I will update in case this doesn't work, I will also report this to Nvidia and Acer if it seems to be the cause. 
    So this worked for all of 8 full days before my computer froze again. Seemed to help so it might have something to do with the graphics drivers. 
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

Maukka said:
    So this worked for all of 8 full days before my computer froze again. Seemed to help so it might have something to do with the graphics drivers. 
    Great to hear

I've taken a slightly different tack. Upgraded to W11, installed the latest BIOS update and downgraded to the graphics driver on the Acer webpage

So far it seems to be more stable.

I had previously tried the studio drivers, but found they didn't help - but hopefully the latest release does something
  • Dino050
    Dino050 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

RodP1 said:
    Maukka said:
    Great to hear

I've taken a slightly different tack. Upgraded to W11, installed the latest BIOS update and downgraded to the graphics driver on the Acer webpage

I had previously tried the studio drivers, but found they didn't help - but hopefully the latest release does something
    Hey man, i have the samw problem rn, have u had any crashes since then till now?
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

Dino050 said:
    Hey man, i have the samw problem rn, have u had any crashes since then till now?
    No, so far it's been stable. Not sure if it was W11 or the BIOS update that helped
  • Dino050

Tinkerer

Dino050 said:
    RodP1 said:
    Maukka said:
    Great to hear

So lately after posting, I noticed it wasn't freezing anymore (not in the 5 hours I had it on the next day). I also updated my OS as much as possible, which had a couple of required security updates to install. For now it looks like its all good now. I didn't update to Windows 11 or touch the BIOS. Hopefully the updated OS was the fix
  • Dino050

Tinkerer

Dino050 said:
    RodP1 said:
    Maukka said:
    Great to hear

So lately after posting, I noticed it wasn't freezing anymore (not in the 5 hours I had it on the next day). I also updated my OS as much as possible, which had a couple of required security updates to install. For now it looks like its all good now. I didn't update to Windows 11 or touch my BIOS tho
  • Maukka

Tinkerer

Dino050 said:
    Dino050 said:
    RodP1 said:
    Maukka said:
    Great to hear

So lately after posting, I noticed it wasn't freezing anymore (not in the 5 hours I had it on the next day). I also updated my OS as much as possible, which had a couple of required security updates to install. For now it looks like its all good now. I didn't update to Windows 11 or touch the BIOS. Hopefully the updated OS was the fix
    For me, the BIOS update seems to have worked. Win 11 update or any driver updates (besides BIOS) for that sake, didn't fix it for me. I also went back to using the gaming drivers as changing them didn't fix the issue. Hopefully, you found a fix. 
  • Dino050

Tinkerer

Maukka said:
    Dino050 said:
    Dino050 said:
    RodP1 said:
    Maukka said:
    Great to hear

For me, the BIOS update seems to have worked. Win 11 update or any driver updates (besides BIOS) for that sake, didn't fix it for me. I also went back to using the gaming drivers as changing them didn't fix the issue. Hopefully, you found a fix. 
    If you dont mind me asking, how did u update the BIOS? and which BIOS update u download? I want to keep a note just in case my PC freezes again
  • RodP1

Tinkerer

Dino050 said:
    If you dont mind me asking, how did u update the BIOS? and which BIOS update u download? I want to keep a note just in case my PC freezes again
    I've used the BIOS from the ACER webpage

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_R01-A3_A_A.zip?acerid=637776355736638944&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO N50-620&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

On this page 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8943?b=1

There are instructions in the zip file.
  • Dino050

Tinkerer

RodP1 said:
    Dino050 said:
    I've used the BIOS from the ACER webpage

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_R01-A3_A_A.zip?acerid=637776355736638944&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO N50-620&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

On this page 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8943?b=1

There are instructions in the zip file.
    When I downloaded the zip file, all I see if 4 folders, with 2 exe files, one in UCP and another in WIN. What exe file do I use?