Acer XB323UGP - Vertical lines, Flickering Not just lines, but freezing pixels and flickering.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    That depends on what you replace it with... If the replacement is the same type as the original, I'd expect the results to be the same or very close to it. For instance, a cable designed for HDMI 1.4 with a signal that's to HDMI 2.1 spec would have these types of issues. A lot of the cheaper cables are far from in spec...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Skilltrain
    Skilltrain Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just want to add another to the list of faulty xb323s.
    Had mine for about 2 months without issue, played Diablo 2 resurrected and then the ghosting, vertical lines and flickering..I tried gsync on/off, 144hz, HDR on/off, 4 different display port cables ranging from the included one to fancy ones.
    And same as above the images were present on the monitor splash screen so totally unrelated to anything outside of the monitor itself, be it the dp cable, GPU issues or even driver issues.

Annoyingly in Australia warranty process is to return to the store first so it's currently on it's way back to them who in turn will send to Acer to inspect and replace/repair so given the current shipping delays everywhere is facing I most likely won't see my monitor back this year.

Has anyone had issues after receiving their refreshed or replaced monitors from Acer? Hoping I don't have to go through this hassle again... Playing on a 25" 1080 predator for the time being is torture.

Really disappointed that a $1300 monitor here has such a common issue.
  • NothingToDoHere
    NothingToDoHere Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Had mine for about 2 months without issue, played Diablo 2 resurrected and then the ghosting, vertical lines and flickering..I tried gsync on/off, 144hz, HDR on/off, 4 different display port cables ranging from the included one to fancy ones.
    And same as above the images were present on the monitor splash screen so totally unrelated to anything outside of the monitor itself, be it the dp cable, GPU issues or even driver issues.

Annoyingly in Australia warranty process is to return to the store first so it's currently on it's way back to them who in turn will send to Acer to inspect and replace/repair so given the current shipping delays everywhere is facing I most likely won't see my monitor back this year.

Has anyone had issues after receiving their refreshed or replaced monitors from Acer? Hoping I don't have to go through this hassle again... Playing on a 25" 1080 predator for the time being is torture.

My monitor wasn't replaced, they just reloaded it somehow in service and since then for a few months I haven't experienced issues, but still feel myself sitting on a time bomb. 750 Euro time bomb. Very unpleasant experience.
  • Dean478
    Dean478 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

That's a real shame and the issue has gotten progressively worse for me. The only work around I have found is to disable 10-bit colour, turn the refresh rate to less than 120 Hz... which means I may as well just use my old monitor. Completely unacceptable. 

Not looking forward to this process, since mine will be an Australian return as well. I don't have time to wait for a replacement or inspection, so I'll be pushing for flat up store credit to exchange for something else. What an absolute shame...
  • NothingToDoHere
    And my time bomb explodes again: in a few last days I've had multiple ghosting issues, when previous images overlayed on top of current thing. Rebooting the PC, turning monitor on or off, or even switching to another source isn't helping. For now, they disappear over time, but it takes a while.

• Dean478

Tinkerer

And my time bomb explodes again: in a few last days I've had multiple ghosting issues, when previous images overlayed on top of current thing. Rebooting the PC, turning monitor on or off, or even switching to another source isn't helping. For now, they disappear over time, but it takes a while.

Yikes... At least you know now that it's faulty and they obviously can't fix it... time for that warranty.
  • NothingToDoHere
    edited December 2021
    Dean478 said:

Yikes... At least you know now that it's faulty and they obviously can't fix it... time for that warranty.
    Pretty sure, it's still gonna be a challenge: they will pretend, it's my GPU or whatever, even I've tried it with multiple image sources. Also, it's gone now, and hard to say, if it will appear in any predictable timing. They still gonna have "testing", and it requires to use it for a while, to face the issue. And the testing by-law not supposed to be week-long, it will be a few hours on any settings they want, like 60Hz.

So, I'm sure, they will not accept it for replacement anyway, but I'll do my best to try.
  • Ithildae
    Ithildae Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited December 2021
    And here comes another customer with the same issue: me. 

I purchased my XB323UGP via Amazon on black friday and had the issue the very first hour after unpacking it. With the original HDMI cable. Now I bought an 8K capable DP cable and still have the same issue.

I gonna contact Amazon support on monday because on their website I can only give it back or send it to repairs (and this will take at least 12 days they say).

I'm very disappointed.

Edit: I'm using a Nvidia RTX 3080.
  • NothingToDoHere
    Ithildae said:
    And here comes another customer with the same issue: me. 

I purchased my XB323UGP via Amazon on black friday and had the issue the very first hour after unpacking it. With the original HDMI cable. Now I bought an 8K capable DP cable and still have the same issue.

I gonna contact Amazon support on monday because on their website I can only give it back or send it to repairs (and this will take at least 12 days they say).

I'm very disappointed.

Edit: I'm using a Nvidia RTX 3080.
    I've tried it with NVIDIA 3060 Ti, Radeon RX 590, RTX 2060 Mobile (Acer Predator Laptop), etc. So, the source of the signal and cables makes no change to the issue itself. It definitely comes from the display.
  • Ithildae
    It definitely comes from the display.
    Sure, my first reaction was to reboot. The second was to unplug the cable but the temporary burned in image was still visible in the splash screen.

I also can't pinpoint or reproduce when it happens. The first time I left a bright website open and left the room for about five minutes, when I came back I had the burn in effect and the screen was flickering green-ish. The other time I just opened Amazon and in the same second, the bright images (I'm using dark reader, so everything else is dark) got bruned in. And yesterday I worked with Fusion 360 when I got the issue. It started with a flickering screen and then the image burned in again.
  • NothingToDoHere
    Ithildae said:
    It definitely comes from the display.
    Sure, my first reaction was to reboot. The second was to unplug the cable but the temporary burned in image was still visible in the splash screen.

I also can't pinpoint or reproduce when it happens. The first time I left a bright website open and left the room for about five minutes, when I came back I had the burn in effect and the screen was flickering green-ish. The other time I just opened Amazon and in the same second, the bright images (I'm using dark reader, so everything else is dark) got bruned in. And yesterday I worked with Fusion 360 when I got the issue. It started with a flickering screen and then the image burned in again.
    It is totally random, I own the monitor for almost a year now, can't find a proper way to reproduce with 100% chance
  • Ithildae
    I just called Amazon (forgot they work on sundays too) and they'll send an replacement on thursday. We'll see.
  • Dean478

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    My issue is from an RTX 2080 Ti connected via display port. So we've got a wide variety of hardware here.
  • Ithildae
    Interesting thing happened today: I just recieved my replacement when the flickering with the "old" one began again.

It happened only when I viewed one specific image in my browser and stopped when I minimized the window only to start again when I maximized it.

I switched off HDR in Windows and the flickering stopped. I rebooted and could reproduce the flickering by turning on HDR again (Windows and monitor).

So it definitly has something to do with HDR. I will now change to the replacement and check that image again.
  • NothingToDoHere
    edited December 2021
    Ithildae said:
    So it definitly has something to do with HDR. 
    In my case, HDR wasn't required, I've had the issue in sRGB and Standard color modes (with HDR disabled in Windows Settings). Only once the issue appeared with HDR among over 10 times it appeared in SDR.

Can you share the image, that helped you to reproduce the issue?
  • Ithildae
    I guess that won't help because I can only reproduce it by opening the image with Synology Photos, not just via Chrome. I made a video and will upload it so you can see it yourself. Just ignore the standard-recording flickering.
  • Ithildae
    edited December 2021
    Not allowed to edit my post, so here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj0lrz42wrtzofu/flicker.mp4?dl=0

You have to download it to see more than the compressed version. It's hard to see the difference in the video but it's huge with the naked eye.

Edit: I'll now take down the monitor from the monitor arm and change it to the replacement... and I will then open the image again.
  • Ithildae
    And me again, time for editing is up.

The replacement doesn't freak out when I open the image in HDR (SDR) mode. So far so good.
  • Ithildae
    omg, the replacement is even worse!

• Dean478

Tinkerer

Far out... well, it's obvious by now there's a serious design flaw with these screens if replacements are looking like that ^. Mine has now been sent from the store to the supplier for futher testing. But after 2 weeks I've already replaced it since I doubt it'll be back before the holiday season and work can't wait.