My Laptop fans aren't behaving normally - AN515-57

PACPEP
PACPEP Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2021 in Windows 11
Whenever my CPU usage goes up like 100%, my CPU temp rises upto 91-92* and suddenly it starts to throttle. My Nitro Sense Fan speeds are set to auto, but still the fans don't reach their max speed unless clicked on max option, it stays like that around 3500 RPM, even when cpu usage is high and it starts to throttle, sudden downs in CPU clock speed in the Task Manager then i need to manually max it up using max option otherwise it keeps throttling.

Is this a problem with the new windows 11 or is it some flashy BIOS (or this Windows 11) update which has created this glitch

Please reply ASAP

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As you can see in the tables, Cool Boost runs the fans at a higher speed than the normal speeds. That boosts your cooling, which makes the name make sense. :) You have the RTX graphics so the last pair of tables are for you in Cool Boost mode. I don't know for sure what the two middle columns have in them, but I believe they are a hold over from a model that didn't have the Discrete GPU installed... So I don't know if your maximum CPU fan speed is going to be 4500 RPM or 3800 RPM, but either way you'll have to get to a CPU temperature of 95C to reach the speed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    That depends entirely on your locale. In some countries it does and others it doesn't. Contact Acer support to be sure before you do anything that will break the sticker.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    We likely won't be able to provide much feedback without knowing what computer you have. Acer sometimes publishes their fan tables in the Service Guide, which isn't available publicly, but Acer Aces can access and post snippets. If the CPU temp raises over a threshold it should throttle the CPU, so it doesn't have to go into a thermal shutdown. Sometimes we've seen issues where Windows Update replaces the stock EFI image with a new one from Insyde and that can tweak the fan curves as well...
  • PACPEP
    billsey said:
    We likely won't be able to provide much feedback without knowing what computer you have. Acer sometimes publishes their fan tables in the Service Guide, which isn't available publicly, but Acer Aces can access and post snippets. If the CPU temp raises over a threshold it should throttle the CPU, so it doesn't have to go into a thermal shutdown. Sometimes we've seen issues where Windows Update replaces the stock EFI image with a new one from Insyde and that can tweak the fan curves as well...
    My Laptop model is AN515-57 with intel i5-11th g, RTX 3050, 8 gigs of Ram

The thing is, why don't the fans spin at their maximum RPM, even when required (like right now when CPU Usage is high and the temps around 90*C). Is this a bug in NitroSense or caused by the Windows 11 update or some BIOS problem?
  • billsey
    It looks like your Nitro shipped with several configurations, and the fan tables are slightly different depending on CPU/GPU combinations. Here are the tables:
    Sorry it's not clearer, but the key entries are the the fan speeds are higher with Cool-Boost enabled.
  • PACPEP
    billsey said:
    It looks like your Nitro shipped with several configurations, and the fan tables are slightly different depending on CPU/GPU combinations. Here are the tables:
    Sorry it's not clearer, but the key entries are the the fan speeds are higher with Cool-Boost enabled.
    So mate do i have always to tick the max option( in NitroSense) while playing high end games, cuz my max auto fan speed is around 4000 RPM, and my fans can go upto like 6200RPM at max.?

And also how to disable the start-up items on windows 11, i'm getting a headache now. I've tried editing registry, disabling apps from task manager, settings, but still they pop up at the start please help

And also there is a ticking aound at the right end of my laptop whenever i tilt it around, it feels like the fans are hitting something but don't know for sure. 

Btw thank you sooooo much for you replies sir....
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @PACPEP,

Uninstall and reinstall nitro sense app and change the fan speed then check.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    As you can see in the tables, Cool Boost runs the fans at a higher speed than the normal speeds. That boosts your cooling, which makes the name make sense. :) You have the RTX graphics so the last pair of tables are for you in Cool Boost mode. I don't know for sure what the two middle columns have in them, but I believe they are a hold over from a model that didn't have the Discrete GPU installed... So I don't know if your maximum CPU fan speed is going to be 4500 RPM or 3800 RPM, but either way you'll have to get to a CPU temperature of 95C to reach the speed.
  • PACPEP
    billsey said:
    Thank you so much bilseley, and also one thing mate, can you tell me if i open my laptop (which has that void warranty sticker) will it really void my warranty if the sticker gets damaged?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    That depends entirely on your locale. In some countries it does and others it doesn't. Contact Acer support to be sure before you do anything that will break the sticker.