Model Spin 713 CP713-2W-5874, Rubber insert on hinge won't stay in place

patrickkelly
patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited September 2020 in Chromebooks
On each hinge is a notch for a little rubber insert. the one on the right, as I'm typing, keeps popping out and dangling. I keep sticking it back in. I can't just ignore it but that's just me. I can glue it in place or take it off. What do you think?

Other than that, my Acer Spin 713 is great.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    I'd use a little bit of contact cement to put it in place, that should hold yet still allow removal if needed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ConkRU2
    ConkRU2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have read some other reviews of the same thing happening to others. I would hope Acer would come up with a fix or replacement inserts. You may want to call them directly at 1-866-695-2237 ... maybe they have a solution. I wouldn't attempt to glue anything before talking with Acer so that you don't void any warranty.  
  • patrickkelly
    I'm a bit OCD but I got to looking and didn't see the rubber gizmo was functional and just removed it. That was three months ago and so far so good.
  • michel416
    michel416 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    I have the very same problem happening on my Spin 713, purchased about 6 months ago. Also the right hinge same as Patrick. I believe these little notches are only cosmetic, so I am not going to return the computer for warranty service. My Spin 713 works great otherwise.
    My model is CP713-2W-35UA.
  • 713SpinUser
    713SpinUser Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Same problem here.  The rubber bumpers are functional - when you rotate to open the screen they rotate with it so you have a rubber footing that contacts the surface you're working on.  Probably not a problem if the rubber falls off unless you're concerned with scratching the surface you're working on.  IMHO, it's a ridiculous design flaw and - obviously -  not something that was tested thoroughly by the product folks at Acer. 

I opened a ticket w/Acer and they expected me to ship the unit back to them which I decided against as it would be too inconvenient to go without it for however long that would take.  

Additionally, on my laptop, one of the 4 oblong rubber bits on the inside of the unit (front right on the keyboard deck) has also fallen off.  I believe these are intended to form a cushion when you close the screen.  This is the second Spin 713 where this has happened - another quality/design issue.  

Otherwise, I like the unit but, next time I'm shopping I'll probably think twice about buying an Acer.
  • billsey
    Perhaps a little silicone adhesive would help them stay in place better.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 713SpinUser
    713SpinUser Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Tried some adhesive good for rubber, metal, plastic, etc.  It held in place for a week or so and then let loose again.  Occasionally, the bumper on the other side does the same thing as well.  Although I've seen lots of similar complaints online from other owners, I suspect it may have something to do with how one uses the device.  If you open it and it's left stationary all of the time, you may be fine.  OTOH, if you open and close it regularly and move from surface to surface, it might put enough drag on the bumpers that they pull out of their seated position.  I'm guessing that eventually they'll just break off, leaving the device a bit wobbly on any hard flat surface.  

FTR, I'm not careless with the unit; I tend to treat laptops gently and have never had one with bits coming apart and falling off like this....YMMV
  • sborman
    sborman Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the exact same experience with the hinge bumper as 713SpinUser. I opened a support ticket with Acer as well but don't want to send in my unit (at my own shipping expense) just for that tiny piece of rubber. I was already aware that opening the screen can potentially cause the hinges to scratch the desktop or table surface, even with the rubber bumpers properly in place, so I am careful about that. But now one of my rubber hinges (the right one) has fallen off, so I'll have to be a bit more careful. I'm happy with the Spin 713, but I'm not used to having pieces fall off a computer only one month after purchasing it.
  • billsey
    Try using the same silicone adhesive to build up and fully replace the bumper. Put down some plastic wrap (or plumbers tape), add the adhesive in a decent sized dollop where it's supposed to have the bumper then p,ace upright with the dollop on the plastic. Let it cure for a while, pick it up and peel the plastic wrap back off. It should have a fairly smooth surface and should keep the unit from rocking...
  • sborman
    sborman Member Posts: 2 New User
    I found a nice solution to my missing Acer-supplied-bumper problem: I attached a flat rubber bumper to the flat surface of each hinge. See the photo, with the missing Acer-supplied bumper on the right side. I just happened to have these flat bumpers in stock in my basement, but they were not packaged, so I can't tell you where to buy this exact kind. If you want to try this, just make sure the bumpers you buy are not too thick. The kind I used have their own adhesive on the back, so I stuck them right onto the Acer hinges in a few seconds. The adhesive is not strong enough to damage the hinge surface, and if one of the added bumpers falls off (which is unlikely), I can just put another one on immediately. The missing Acer-supplied right bumper makes the right side of the Chromebook slightly lower, and the flat bumpers level the computer again. I was worried about my tabletop getting scratched up by the hinges before, even with the Acer-supplied bumpers in place. With the new bumpers in place, I'm not concerned about that any more.
  • Amamos
    Amamos Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm also having the exact same problem, on the same side (right), clearly an acer problem and it sucks that they don't care enough to give us some support on how to better fix it. I also like the laptop but I also would try another brand if buying again, just because of how acer is treating us on this.

Has anyone came up with a brand/model for those rubbers on the last post?

I'm a bit worried of picking a random one and it's glue doing some damage to the surface.

• ntgdeveloper
    ntgdeveloper Member Posts: 1 New User

Have the same issue, lived with it for months until I finally found the right rubbers on Amazon.

I found the brand! At least I think I have.

I bought this from Amazon a month ago and it's been working really well since then. It's just thin enough to let the Chromebook flip into tablet mode. Cut the squares to your liking and it should work really well. I cut them like the picture in the post and they lift my Chromebook just high enough to not go for the rubber inserts. I still somehow have mine after putting it through hell for the past few months.

Hope this helps anyone and everyone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7JFXAA

• rjclip
    rjclip Member Posts: 1 New User

I just bought the Acer SPIN 713 on Amazon and I like most others did slide the laptop across the table, resulting in little rubber feet dislodging from the corner. I decided to check the forum for what others have experienced and it looks like a design flaw. I like the idea of attaching something on the hing to improve on the design. However, the placement of the rubber pad is not ideal. The additional pad should be around the edge of the hing. If you look at where the rubber feet is placed, its at the corner of the hing. The reason being, when you open the laptop and place it on a surface...it is the edge that is in contact. Therefore, if you place the pad on the flat side of the hing, only the edge of the pad would be in contact...if at all. What I have done is to use 3 strips of Gorilla Tape at the edge. When I open the laptop and place it on the table, the entire edge of the tape makes contact with the table and provide proper support. You can use any flexible tape to build the edge...I used Gorilla Tape because I had a roll already, so I did not have to spend more money to fix this design flaw.

• patrickkelly

I started this thread twenty-six months ago. I thought I should give an update. I don't remember how long I dithered, not very long, I'm sure, but I just pulled the little rubber thingie off and forgot about it. I've used the Spin 713 every day since then and I've had absolutely no problems.

I'm fairly happy with the Spin 713. The trackpad tap-to-click isn't working well but it's been used a lot.