PLEASE HELP! Urgnetly requiring replacement screw for Acer TravelMate P214-52

AMISS
AMISS Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi there does anyone know where to find a replacement screw for TravelMate P214-52 or what the dimensions are? This is a work device and because of the missing screw, the back case separates when the laptop is opened and closed. Thank you.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    AMISS said:
    Hi there does anyone know where to find a replacement screw for TravelMate P214-52 or what the dimensions are? This is a work device and because of the missing screw, the back case separates when the laptop is opened and closed. Thank you.
    There are 12 screws that secure the base cover for your TravelMate P214-52, as there are 12 of them, take one out and measure that screw as there are lots of none OEM screw bundles of different sizes for sale on either eBay or Amazon. The specified OEM screws and location for the TravelMate P214-52 base cover are as follows:

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    AMISS

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..   I will help you to get a good solution for your issue. 

Please get the right screws, tighten it and it will fix the issue..    Please don't use the laptop, open or close it till you fix the right screws.. 

My suggestion is if you go to a nearby local store they can easily help you on this issue, since they might be servicing lot of laptops on day to day basis, they will be having lot of screws with them.   It will take just a minute or two for them to help you in fixing the right screws..    Once the right screws are fixed you will be amazed to see , feel and experience  that  opening and closing the laptop, hinges and  everything will be automatically working fine.. 

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store.   Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.   You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories.  Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    AMISS said:
    There are 12 screws that secure the base cover for your TravelMate P214-52, as there are 12 of them, take one out and measure that screw as there are lots of none OEM screw bundles of different sizes for sale on either eBay or Amazon. The specified OEM screws and location for the TravelMate P214-52 base cover are as follows:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I believe you will find that the screw by itself will not fully solve the problem. It is likely the screws holding the hinge in place to the case half has partially pulled loose from the case. The hinge resists opening or closing, which puts additional pressure on the case halves, which puts additional pressure on those case screws. The longer term solution will be to repair the screw mounts for the hinge so there is no longer the extra pressure on the case screws. Something like an epoxy of JB Weld should allow you to rebuild the places the hinge screws go into...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • drkmccy
    drkmccy Member Posts: 2 New User
    The TravelMate P214 has very weak hinges, like most Acer laptops. I would contact Acer and demand an engineer callout to replace the chassis as they are not fit for purpose.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Ah, but @drkmccy you know as well as everyone else that will never happen. The only real solution is for end users to stop choosing to buy the thin and light laptops that have to be built with plastic cases that aren't deep enough to hold a screw well enough. If we would be willing to pay the extra for metal cases or willing to accept thicker laptops it's wouldn't be an issue... And it's an issue with every manufacturer that makes this style of case.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.