How to disable auto on backlight keyboard after turn on my laptop Acer Swift 3 (SF314-59-70M2)

HARDZMY
HARDZMY Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi, im currently using the Acer Swift 3 (SF314-59-70M2), can i disable the auto on backlight keybaord after turning on or restart my laptop?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    HARDZMY said:
    Hi, im currently using the Acer Swift 3 (SF314-59-70M2), can i disable the auto on backlight keybaord after turning on or restart my laptop?
    You can go to BIOS by pressing F2 during the boot.

Here go to Main and highlight KB backlight and hit enter. Now you can disable the KB backlight.

Hope this helps.. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    HARDZMY said:
    You can go to BIOS by pressing F2 during the boot.

Here go to Main and highlight KB backlight and hit enter. Now you can disable the KB backlight.

Hope this helps.. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • papatim
    papatim Member Posts: 1 New User
    It's much simpler than this! The fix above keeps the lights on all the time. We have just bought a Swift3 and love it except that the backlight makes the keys difficult to see. After playing around I realised that there is a button with a symbol 'A' and 'lights' (it's the F8 button too). Just press that and the keyboard lights go off. Press again and they come on (with a timeout). Could be that older models don't have this, of course. Remember just to hit the key; don't press 'Fn' at the same time. Happy days!
  • jalamye9
    jalamye9 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello,
    I would like to make it so that the backlight does not come on automatically when I type, but then I also have the option to turn it on in a dark situation (which is relatively rare).

Would your solution do that for me, @Rudy21 ?
    Or does this totally disable it and make it so I would have to go into the BIOS in order to turn it on whenever I want it on?
    Thanks!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @jalamye9 if your system has a backlit keyboard, you should have a function key (F8 on my Spin 5) that toggles it from not coming on at all, to coming on when a key is pressed and staying on for a few seconds.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jalamye9
    jalamye9 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am hoping you could explain more about the toggle function of F8?
    I seem to only be able to temporarily make it not come on. Every time I restart my computer it seems to default back to coming on whenever I press a key. I don't want to have to keep turning it off, I want it to automatically be off all the time unless I turn it on. I am wondering if that is possible?
    Thanks.
  • billsey
    It depends on whether they've enabled that function in the BIOS. There has been enough requests for it that they have done that to some BIOSes, but not all. Typically there are three states the BIOS might have:
    1. BIOS has enable/disable for keyboard backlight
    2. BIOS has enable/disable but only after turning on special mode with CTRL-S
    3. BIOS doesn't have enable/disable
    So, fire up the BIOS and look for the function. If it's there disable it. If it's not there try doing an CTRL-S in each screen to see if they've hidden it in there. If that doesn't help then I'm afraid it's not available with your model. Note that the BIOS might only switch from timed out backlight to no timeout, so backlight is on all the time...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AbdullahFarra
    AbdullahFarra Member Posts: 2 New User
    HARDZMY said:

Thread was edited to add model name to the title
    Hey, Have you found a solution to the problem as i seem to have the exact same problem when i turn on my laptop the backlight stays on and doesnt turn off.
  • billsey
    Some models allow you to change that behavior in BIOS, some do not.
  • guyt
    guyt Member Posts: 1 New User
  • grandmalynne
    grandmalynne Member Posts: 1 New User

Pressing F11 works for me on my on my Swift 3