Aspire E15 (E5-575G-52EL) Windows 11 Support

PhilippB
PhilippB Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited September 2021 in Windows 11
I own an Acer Aspire E15 (E5-575G-52EL) with an Intel i5-7200U CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce 940MX.  According to Microsoft, the Intel CPUs of the 7Gen are not supported for Windows 11.  A new UEFI BIOS update from Asus on Asus devices, but currently proves something else, as it makes older devices Windows 11 compatible.  As my WhyNotWin11 test result shows, everything fits me, except the CPU generation.

Therefore I ask for the following thing: 

Proceeds similar to Asus and publishes a UEFI update for it, making the laptop fit for Windows 11. 

Otherwise I see myself forced to never buy an Acer device again (and also not a Windows device from another manufacturer and certainly not a Chromebook).  Either I buy a MacBook or I install Linux on my Acer Notebook and buy a MacBook as soon as the device stops working.  But I can say one thing 100%: I will not buy a new notebook because of Windows 11 and if my Acer notebook is not made fit for Windows 11, no Windows device (neither from Acer nor from another manufacturer) will be in mine in the future. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    This is a Microsoft issue, not ACER or ASUS or DELL or HP or any other consumer PC manufacturer. Like Windows 10, Windows 11 is still even less ready for prime time. Eventually you may  be able to try it since your laptop meets all the other requirements. Be patient and be glad you don't try to install an operating system in which the policies & bugs haven't been worked out.

Jack E/NJ

• PhilippB
    JackE said:
    This is a Microsoft issue, not ACER or ASUS or DELL or HP or any other consumer PC manufacturer. Like Windows 10, Windows 11 is still even less ready for prime time. Eventually you may  be able to try it since your laptop meets all the other requirements. Be patient and be glad you don't try to install an operating system in which the policies & bugs haven't been worked out.
    You are wrong.  If you search for Asus and Windows 11 on the Internet, you will see articles about Asus currently delivering a UEFI update that makes older PCs fit for Windows 11. I'm just asking Acer to do a similar thing or I'll never buy an Acer notebook again.

I'm sure I'll wait until October 5th, then I'll either have Windows 11 or no Windows anymore.  I installed Windows 11 Preview next to Windows 10 and it runs without any problems on the Acer device mentioned.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    So what's your problem if Win11 preview runs without any problems?

Jack E/NJ

• PhilippB
    JackE said:
    So what's your problem if Win11 preview runs without any problems? 
    Microsoft has announced that you can only use the trial version if you don't meet the requirements until it's publicly available.  For the pre-release versions for the update next year there are new exceptions for the test version (you need all the requirements for this, whereby the exceptions are CPU generation and TPM 2.0).

My problem now is that I may only be able to use the test version and not the finished version because I don't want to use the test version forever.

And everything I wrote in this post (ASUS UEFI update for older devices that are then fit for Windows 11, ...) I researched everything beforehand and can therefore be sure that it is true, as I have even read several trustworthy articles about it  and all wrote the same thing.  And that's why I ask Acer to proceed in a similar manner, otherwise I will no longer buy an Acer notebook or a Windows device.