Gaming on an Acer Aspire 5 -A514-54G s there something I can do to improve the gaming performance

sunny27
sunny27 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I bought an Acer Aspire 5 A514-54G (Part# NX.A1XSI.002) in Feb 2021. This is the link to the laptop (https://store.acer.com/en-in/acer-aspire5-thinandlight-laptop-intel-corei7-11thgen-a515-54g)
This is the configuration I have :
  • 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processors
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® MX350 Graphics - 2GB DDR5 VRAM
  • 16 GB of DDR4 system memory
  • 1 TB, Crucial P2, NVMe SSD
  • 1 TB HDD, 6.3 cm (2.5-inch) 5400 RPM
This is a relatively decent configuration to play some old gaming titles which are 10-15 years old. (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1,2,3, Call of duty black ops NFS Most Wanted/Hot Pursuit). I understand that the MX350 is relatively better than the integrated graphics. 

I have been getting extremely laggy gameplay on stock settings. Lowering the settings or resolution hasn't helped. I refuse to believe a Laptop from 2021 can't play a 14 year old game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare from 2007 at high settings.

I have upgraded the Nvidia Drivers from the website. I have left everything stock.

I have a proper MSI GL63-9SDK with a 1660ti for gaming. But it would be nice to have something that I can work on and do a bit of light gaming.

Is there something I can do to improve the gaming performance of my laptop?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @sunny27

Do you have anti-virus software running in your PC? That may filter out everything .

I suppose your extremely slow 5400 RPM drive doesn't get involved in your games, and you are only using the NVMe drive for Windows 10 , game programs and game data.

Doesn't hurt to try disconnect this 5400 RPM drive temporarily .
  • sunny27
    So, The anti-virus is the one that comes built in with Windows. The Harddrive isn't used to run games but I don't really see the impact of a 5400 rpm drive in 10-15 year old legacy games. 

Does it have anything to do with the Intel integrated graphics driver not switching to the Nvidia MX 350?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @sunny27

So, you are saying you are only using the Win 10 Windows Defender for anti-virus, not the free trial-version of anti-virus software that came with your PC, right?

I have some 2 decades+ games when running it the first time with Win 10 there was a notification of "compatibility mode used" and asked me is it running O.K.

The MX 350 performance should be sufficient to handle legacy games.

Games should have some build-in features to adjust for processor speed, hope it is not over-correcting.

You may want to visit the Device Manger and check on the graphics driver's condition there. Sometimes hardware compatibility issue may play the part. You can also try the games with the on-board graphics.

Good Luck!

• sunny27
    That's correct, I only use the Windows 10 Defender and no third party anti-virus. 

Just downloaded the latest Iris XE graphics drivers from Intel for the 11th Gen Tiger Lake CPU. Updated the latest Nvidia Drivers from Nvidia's website. There's still no improvement.

This keeps getting frustrating!
  • sunny27
    So while playing a game, the Nvidia MX350 seems to be used but the gameplay is choppy at best for all the games. Now as you can see these are very old games and technically should have no issues running at high settings on this laptop. 

I have performed clean instalations for both the Intel Irix XE graphics and the Nvidia Mx350 from the respective intel and nvidia websites.

Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this?

• sunny27
    Any help with this?

• Unkn
    Unkn Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    sorry for late reply. I also have an aspire 5 but with and ssd ith mx350 but with 1135G7. So install asus gpu tweak and restart your pc . Run the app , raise the power limit of gpu to 80+ ( it will not increase temps it will just increase temp limit of 60-70 which is holding ur gpu back.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Unkn,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​
  • srinivas546
    srinivas546 Member Posts: 4 New User
    i have the same laptop as you mentioned above, I play a lot of games as listed below, all games run on a min 30-35 FPS with low or medium settings, i get 70 fps plus on GTA with low and medium settings

1. Asphalt 9 Legends
    2. Fortnite
    3. GTA V
    4. CS:GO
    5. VALORANT
    6. witcher 3
    7. Euro truck simulator
    8. MODERN COMBAT 5
    9. ASSAINS`S CREED UNITY
    10. Far Cry 4
    11.fifa 18

• Chandashoka123
    Chandashoka123 Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    Are there anyone used Acer A515-56G laptop? Can you say what games can I play from this?

• 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processors
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® MX350 Graphics - 2GB GDDR5 
    • 8 GB of DDR4 SDRAM
    • 1 TB HDD 5400 RPM
  • Unkn
    Just try doing what i told
  • Unkn
    I have a514-54g model and charging to 100% and keeping plugged in before gaming helped to have better power limit in cpu. And i raised gpu power limit in asus gpu tweak II app to 97 ( Max ).
    The reason is that it is locked at 67 degrees, so your gpu wont cross those temps after that. 
    You can't access those via MSI Afterburner
    For temporary ( 20 seconds ) Performance boost, Use Performance mode hotkey and spam it 2-3 times, but bring it back to performance fan mode, but it will give a temp boost of power limit and cpu will cross 20 Watts Or even 35 watts, but its useless as it will give a very little time of boost fps.
    Do you have Proccessor Power Management option in advanced power options 
  • Johnnn
    Johnnn Member Posts: 1 New User

The Acer Aspire 5 is a middling laptop for gaming. Our model has a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX350 GPU, but it isn't enough to get playable framerates in most modern AAA games at "High" settings. Also, its 60Hz screen has no support for VRR. https://wildoftech.com/

• NadeeshaX
    NadeeshaX Member Posts: 1 New User

@sunny27 im facing the same problem. i have upgraded my ram to 16GB and now um using windows 11. I have installed NFS rivals and Days gone. They were played well when I install them. DaysGone with lower settings and NFS Rivals with ultra settings. but after few days now they are lagging . i have updated my graphic card's latest drivers and also updated windows .still no any solution. can anyone help me with this.

• unlucky_bot
    unlucky_bot Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi, I have tried your solution on my a514-53g model but the lag is still there. My specs are
    8gb ram 2666mhz DDR4
    nvidia mx 350 GDDR5, 2gb
    i5 1035g1, 1.0 Ghz - 3.6 Ghz
    512gb ssd
    i have tried playing valorant on low settings with fps capped at 60 but it stutters too much and my clock speed is always capped at either 400 mhz or 600 mhz,

• JamesSkidmore01
    JamesSkidmore01 Member Posts: 1 New User

Your creativity knows no bounds! Keep up the fantastic work. Ptliga