downgrade acer aspire v5-171-6832 to windows 7

cris1605
cris1605 Member Posts: 4 New User

hello, i really need help to do this because i hate windows 8. any clue? please please please.

tks!

Smiley Happy

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

I've had success by changing the bios from UEFI to legacy bios using F2 on startup. Then you need Windows 7 installation media.

• cris1605

hey, tks for your prompt reply. unfortunately it didn't work... any clue?

• ScottyC

Here, I found video instructions for you.

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7 FROM 8

• cris1605

hey,

i changed the bios to legacy, no problem. but when the computer shows "where do you want to install windows", there are 5 partions, but no one available. when i cick on the partion 4 it shows "the selected disk is of the GPT partion style". i'm very upset, because i can't find the way to install the 7.... please help... tks...

• larrylee13
    larrylee13 Member Posts: 5 New User

Well, I tried converting Win8 to Win7-64 on V3-551-8469. Ended up totally wiping the HDD, formatting, and partitioning.   Got WIn7 cd to load OK...only when I "finished", found two important drivers missing/not available:  USB Bus controller and SM Bus controller--AND, they're NOT available from ACER.  Not on web site at all, and "Chat" funciton useless. Can SELL ME a Win8 restore DVD and that's theyre only answer!  LOUSY customer service, if you ask me! Other vendors have complete drivers available online, and for free!

• ScottyC

Have you tried installing the Win 8 drivers by chance?

• larrylee13

Thanks for reply...actually thought of that but the "required" drivers don't actually "exist" under Win8 either!  Fixed it myself last night when I re-installed the Win7-64bit version of "VGA_AMD_8.941.4.1000_W7x86x64" drivers from the ACER Web site!

As it was installing, saw SMBus controller and USB flash across the screen, and when it was completed, the USB ports started working again!   Windows 7 64-bit successfully installed, finally!!

Surprised support rep on ACER Chat didn't have a clue!  Her response was that I had to go back to Windows 8 configuration and had to buy the restore disks from their store, as I'd trashed the special partitions that contained all the Win8 data!

Oh, well...it worked!

• ScottyC

Acer reps aren't allowed to support any OS that wasn't preinstalled on their unit due to a contract with Microsoft. I bet you she knew exactly how to fix it but couldn't tell you or Acer could face a huge lawsuit with Microsoft. If you want to blame anyone blame Microsoft, not only did they make Windows 8 but they're in the process of forcing it down everyone's throat.

As I see it every second OS from microsoft is fantastic. Let's start at 95, which was pretty **bleep** good. Then we have 98 which wasn't terrible but wasn't fantastic either. Then 98 SE came out and it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then they released ME which was the worst thing since burnt toast. After this came XP which was a huge success. Next we get vista, a trainwreck of an OS. Then 7 came out and they fixed all of the Vista issues and it was pretty fantastic. So now keeping to their usual pattern Windows 8 is the OS equivalent of a papercut. You can work with it but it's really painful and you don't really want to. I personally think that Windows 9 will be unbelievable, it's just going to take a while to get there.

• larrylee13

Pretty accurate assessment!  I've been playing with PC since before they existed! and your OS observations are dead-on!  Win7 on the Acer V3-551 is working wonderfully, BTW.  Would at least be nice if ACER had some descriptive info about each "driver" download, history, what each contains, which models they apply to, etc!!!  Understand completly about contractual obligations and dealing with Microsoft! Worked for MS OEM for about 18 months and we actually negotiated with their legal department (this WAS quite a while ago!)!

Just comes across as annoying to normal users trying to get info from Acer web site.  Other manufacturers don't do this, in my experience!

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Chris, can I try to help? On the Windows 8 Start Page, drag the tile for "Desktop" to the top left corner. Now you only have to press the Enter key to go to the desktop. Then go online and download the free Start button  called "Classic Shell."

Windows 8 will now run like Windows 7.

This discussion has been closed.