Can R5-471T with 5th generation i7 run Windows 11

stephenrappapor
stephenrappapor Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Windows 11
I have an r5-471T that works great. The box has Windows 10 Pro, an Intel i7 6th generation processor, 8gb, ram, and 512gb SSD. I'd like to ask if I'll be able to upgrade to and install Windows 11 Pro on my machine or if I'll need to buy a new laptop with a later generation processor. Thanks for thinking about and replying to my question.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,899 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    I have an r5-471T that works great. The box has Windows 10 Pro, an Intel i7 6th generation processor, 8gb, ram, and 512gb SSD. I'd like to ask if I'll be able to upgrade to and install Windows 11 Pro on my machine or if I'll need to buy a new laptop with a later generation processor. Thanks for thinking about and replying to my question.

Unfortunatley 6th Gen Intel CPU's are not supported in Win-11, see Microsoft "Windows 11 requirements" here and their CPU compatible list is here "Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors" and as far as the Intel Core processors like i3, i5 and i7 its from the 8th Gen UP at this time (wait and see what the final specs are from Microsoft?) as it could chnage? 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,899 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓

Unfortunatley 6th Gen Intel CPU's are not supported in Win-11, see Microsoft "Windows 11 requirements" here and their CPU compatible list is here "Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors" and as far as the Intel Core processors like i3, i5 and i7 its from the 8th Gen UP at this time (wait and see what the final specs are from Microsoft?) as it could chnage? 
  • irfanaffandys
    irfanaffandys Member Posts: 1 New User
    These are the supported CPU (at the moment) for Windows 11 upgrade: 
    Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs

Hope it helps you to choose and consider your next laptop ;)
  • Pacecarguy
    Pacecarguy Member Posts: 1 New User
    So the next obvious question since I have the same situation, is it possible to upgrade this model to a gen10 or whatever is needed CORE cpu to support Win11?   Thanks.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Nope, that level of upgrade requires a different motherboard, and laptop motherboards are designed around the insides of the laptop, so motherboard for one model will not fit into a different model. To get W11 on your machine you'll need a new machine. Stick with W10 until you are ready for upgraded hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.