Acer Aspire5 A514-535 boot from USB it doesn't show on Boot Manager

Ken07
Ken07 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited November 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I can't boot from USB, it doesn't show on Boot Manager.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Ken07
    Ken07 said:
    I can't boot from USB, it doesn't show on Boot Manager.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5 A514-53 and InsydeH20 v1.16. Only Windows Boot Manager shows up in Boot Manager Utility.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Shut the machine off. Insert the USB stick. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A menu should appear to allow you to boot from the stick.

If no menu, shut the machine off again. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. The BIOS menu should appear. Enable the F12 boot option in the Main tab. On really stubborn secure boot machines. you may also have to set and save a supervisor password, Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the password and disable secure boot.

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    JackE said:
    Shut the machine off. Insert the USB stick. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A menu should appear to allow you to boot from the stick.

If no menu, shut the machine off again. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. The BIOS menu should appear. Enable the F12 boot option in the Main tab. On really stubborn secure boot machines. you may also have to set and save a supervisor password, Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the password and disable secure boot.
    Hi. Thanks for your response. I did what you told me but Boot Manager still doesn't recognize my USB. The only option that shows up is again, Windows Boot Manager.
  • JackE
    edited July 2021
    The USB stick must be configured to boot from a UEFI BIOS. If it's only configured to boot from legacy BIOS, it won't be seen or bootable. How did you prepare the bootable stick. If for example you're trying to boot from a Linux stick, the installation or live iso must be prepared using Rufus freeware for UEFI or both UEFI & legacy BIOS FAT32 format. Do NOT try to change to legacy BIOS or you risk corrupting your Windows boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    JackE said:
    The USB stick must be configured to boot from a UEFI BIOS. If it's only configured to boot from legacy BIOS, it won't be seen or bootable. How did you prepare the bootable stick. If for example you're trying to boot from a Linux stick, the installation or live iso must be prepared using Rufus freeware for UEFI or both UEFI & legacy BIOS FAT32 format. Do NOT try to change to legacy BIOS or you risk corrupting your Windows boot drive.
    Rufus, UEFI NTFS.
  • Ken07
    JackE said:
    Yes, I set it up using Rufus; UEFI & NTFS. Does it need to be FAT32? I didn't change any settings and use the default.
  • JackE
    Yes. FAT32. UEFI bootstrappers still only read secure FAT32 EFI partitions to hand off the boot process.

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    JackE said:
    Yes. FAT32. UEFI bootstrappers still only read secure FAT32 EFI partitions to hand off the boot process.
    What partition scheme should I use?
    MBR or GPT?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Ken07
    I can't seem to format my USB to FAT32. Rufus only shows NTFS, what should I do?
  • JackE
    GPT. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    JackE said:
    GPT. Jack E/NJ
    I can't format to FAT32, Windows 10 ISO Image is too big at 5.47GB
  • JackE
    Hold on!!!! What was the factory installed operating system, if any?

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    edited July 2021
    JackE said:
    Hold on!!!! What was the factory installed operating system, if any?
    Windows 10 Home Edition.
    I have upgraded to Windows 11 and did a fresh reset but gone BSoD; so I wanted to rollback by clean installing Windows 10
  • JackE
    Aye!!!

(1) Did you intend to test drive Win11 with the rollback option? It should allow a rollback.

(2) What do you mean by 'fresh reset'? How did you do this? From inside Win11 environment as a rollback option? Or from the hidden ACER recovery partition?

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    After upgrading to Windows 11, I simply went to Settings and reset my pc from there.

Reset was successful and rollback was no longer possible. But after restarting my PC, boom! LogonUI.exe - System Error

SFC and DISM can't fix the issue. Looked at Srt logfiles and root cause of the issue says something about corrupt file in System32.

I've tried resetting my PC again but the problem still persists. It appears the sign-in page if permanently broken. Desktop seems to work but when I lock my screen, the problem starts to occur.

I didn't have any problems with W11 until build 22000.71 which I am currently using RN. Big mistake!
  • Ken07
    Oh, hey. I mounted the ISO and run the setup directly. Seems to be installing Windows 10. Will this work?
  • JackE
    Press & hold the power button till the machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the Win11 installation --- if its reset function --- and if the generic Win10 installation iso didn't corrupt the hidden ACER Win10 OEM recovery partition ( a lot of ifs), a recovery screen should appear that will allow you to either do a full factory OEM erase everything reset or a partial factory reset while trying to save personal files. The first erase-everything reset is the best since it'll return your system to the original fresh out-of-box state.

If you have any personal files on the boot drive that you absolutely must try to save, you really should first remove the drive and attach it to another computer's usb port with a 2.5"HDD/SSD-to-USB or m2SSD-to-USB adapter to copy these files. These adapters are less than $10. 

Jack E/NJ

• Ken07
    JackE said:
    Press & hold the power button till the machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the Win11 installation --- if its reset function --- and if the generic Win10 installation iso didn't corrupt the hidden ACER Win10 OEM recovery partition ( a lot of ifs), a recovery screen should appear that will allow you to either do a full factory OEM erase everything reset or a partial factory reset while trying to save personal files. The first erase-everything reset is the best since it'll return your system to the original fresh out-of-box state.

If you have any personal files on the boot drive that you absolutely must try to save, you really should first remove the drive and attach it to another computer's usb port with a 2.5"HDD/SSD-to-USB or m2SSD-to-USB adapter to copy these files. These adapters are less than $10. 
    There's no recovery partition. Windows shows an error code: 0xc0000001
  • JackE
    Somehow your message about mounting the iso didn't show up till after my message about pressing and holding the power button to shut the machine off.

I assume the iso failed. So try this. Press and hold the power button again till the machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.

(1) In the BIOS Information tab, is the boot drive lister?

(2) In the BIOS Main tab, is the F12 and D2D options enabled?

Jack E/NJ

• piazzolla
    piazzolla Member Posts: 4 New User

I bought an ACER Aspire 5 A515-45-R42F notebook with UEFI bios and Windows 11. I can't figure out how to enable boot from usb.

Thank you

PS: I should know soon to make use of the right of withdrawal.