A315-31 series M.2 SSD version

paulkinma
paulkinma Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi guys, 
I know this has been asked a million times before, but I cannot find the definitive for my model. I am trying to upgrade my trusty A315-31 model to a M.2 SSD drive, but I am still unsure which one my model supports.  Again, it only comes up as a A315-31 series with no other additional model numbers.

I can see from the socket that it has a larger pin connector on the left and a small pin connector on the right. I have attached an image.

I just need to know what M.2 SSD I should buy as I have been reading that it comes in two flavours, NVMe and another one which name escapes me now. I have noticed that some cards have three notches and some have two. If it's the three notches one I need, would that still fit I the two connector port on the motherboard? 

Any help would be great! 

Thanks in advance. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    The safest and least expensive option is an m.2 SATA3 card. It has two key slots or notches that fit all m.2 sockets with either one or two plastic key bumps (B+M keys) in the socket. The m.2 NVME card usually has only one key notch that will only fit m.2 sockets with one key bump (M key). Your model, if one key bump (M key), should accept either the m.2 SATA or m.2 NVME. The NVME card should run about twice as fast as the SATA3 card if you don't run into any problems since NVMEs, particularly budget brands, sometimes are finicky bleeding edge technology. If it was mine, I'd go with a plain vanilla m.2 SATA3 card. They're still plenty fast.

Jack E/NJ