[emergency] stripped heatsink screw preadtor helios 300 ph 315

Hesam1p
Hesam1p Member Posts: 9 New User
edited December 2022 in Predator Laptops
hello all
please help
I used wrong screw and only one of the heatsink screws has been stripped and therefore I can't take off the cooling system and apply thermal paste, I used too many ways from ruber band method to every other ways
I wanted to take it off but I guess I was cracking the motherboard of the my only laptop
please help
also I live in a 3rd world country that there isn't acer service center
what can I do for this one screw?
really sorry for bad english 
thank you very much
by the way my laptop is acer preadtor helios 300 ph 315 (2020) 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can try a procedure similar to this:
    However, it is a delicate and risky procedure. I am not responsible for any damage. Also, it is necessary to protect the main board. Ideally, send the laptop to a technician who specializes in laptops.

what is the exact model? example ph315-52-58vh.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hesam1p
    Answer ✓
    However, it is a delicate and risky procedure. I am not responsible for any damage. Also, it is necessary to protect the main board. Ideally, send the laptop to a technician who specializes in laptops.

yes of course I am responsible for any situation,
    thank you very much I will give it a try🙏
    and the laptop model is PH315-53-71J7
  • Hell_J
    Hell_J Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hello, 

Try using normal screwdriver, not philips head. The one that sits into that slot like it should, without gaps on the sides. With that you should be able to unscrew that screw. 
    What did you do to scratch everything so much?  :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hesam1p
    Answer ✓

yes of course I am responsible for any situation,
    thank you very much I will give it a try🙏
    and the laptop model is PH315-53-71J7
  • Hesam1p
    unfortunately it didn't work😞😭
  • Is your laptop still under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hell_J
    Answer ✓
    Hello, 

Try using normal screwdriver, not philips head. The one that sits into that slot like it should, without gaps on the sides. With that you should be able to unscrew that screw. 
    What did you do to scratch everything so much?  :) 
  • Hesam1p
    sorry I miss clicked then I can't undo and my own message got accepted 
  • Hesam1p
    thanks to all I brought my laptop to the local laptop store and he opened the screw in less than 10 second (it wasn't even get stripped)
    then I was happily applying thermal paste but I was dumb and I didn't unplugged the battery (it was hard to unplug so I didn't do that)
    then at the end that I wanted to close the last screw it fell down on the motherboard and then some component burnt
    now my laptop doesn't turn on
    I'm shameful and too sad😭😭😭😭
    what happend to it
    can local warranty fix it😭😭😭

• Hesam1p
    Is your laptop still under warranty?
    i want to die😭😭😭😭
    can it get fixes or I burnt the whole motherboard😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
  • Hell_J
    edited July 2021
    Hesam1p said:
    Is your laptop still under warranty?
    i want to die😭😭😭😭
    can it get fixes or I burnt the whole motherboard😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    You just don't do anything if you don't want to follow procedure. 
    You burnt your motherboard and Acer will probably not fix that under warranty because this is physical damage done by user. 
    You can try sending it to sevice center and will see what they say, it can be fixed by replacing the whole motherboard (which is pretty expensive). 

You can also ask this guy https://northridgefix.com/ if it can be fixed and how much would it cost.

And remember, in future endeavors, you ALWAYS remove every power source when doing something on the motherboard and should ALWAYS wear some anti-static gloves.
    Also it's preferable to use screwdrivers that are not all messed up.   :) 

In short, if you're not completly sure that you are capable of doing this alone (no matter how easy it looks on Youtube) simply don't do it and send it to acer or some other professional technician.
  • It's not complicated to replace this capacitor:

However, it is necessary to remove it with a solder. The ideal is to send it to a technician specialized in electronics. After removing the capacitor, it will solder a new capacitor and then have to clean that region.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hesam1p
    It's not complicated to replace this capacitor:

However, it is necessary to remove it with a solder. The ideal is to send it to a technician specialized in electronics. After removing the capacitor, it will solder a new capacitor and then have to clean that region.
    thank you very much
    yes of course I will send it to a technician
    but I was worrying that after this my laptop didn't turn on or when I pluged the charger it didn't charge.  is it normal that it doesn't turn on for a capacitor? and is it worrisome and burnt the whole motherboard or it can hopefully be fixed by replacing the capacitor? :( 
    thank you very very much for helping
  • I don't think the main board burned out. The ideal is to check all voltages on the main board, with a multimeter and comparing them on the electrical diagram.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• da447m
    da447m Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Hello, I'm having the exact same problem with that screw in the same place. Please could you tell us how the technician opened that screw? Which tool he used?

thx