Can't install Linux dristro on Acer Aspire ES 17 ES1-732

Gambler258
Gambler258 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello everyone !

As title says, I just can't install any Linux distro on my Acer Aspire ES 17 ES1-732. The installation client runs ok up until grub2. It just gets stuck on "Installing grub2 package..."

I dissabled "Safe Boot" on my Bios, enabled again, etc. It has UEFI, which I think is made for Windows installations only, but it won't let me dissable UEFI.

My laptop is a 17.3" Acer Aspire ES 17 ES1-732.

N3350 @1.1 ghz
4gb DDR3L 
1TB Toshiba HDD

This is just too slow to run windows 10, I get a lot of lags. So I was looking for a lighweight OS such as Lubuntu or Linux Lite.

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Comments

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    The forum member @Sladek90 wrote instructions on how to install Ubuntu on his Apollo Lake ES1-533, but I don't know if the same instructions will work on your Apollo Lake device.  Click on the link below.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have something in your UEFI that says "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executingthen try the @JackE method.  But it won't work if you don't have "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" in your UEFI.  

1. Go in to BIOS settings and create a supervisor password
     and disable secure boot and enable the F12 boot menu
    2. Boot your Ubuntu USB by tapping F12 at boot and then install Ubuntu or mint
    3.  Go in to BIOS and enable secure boot and add grub to trusted secure boot settings.           HDD0>>EFI>>Ubuntu>>grubx64.efi....and give it a proper name like 'ubuntu' and then save exit
    4.  If necessary, go back in to BIOS settings to the Boot tab and use F6 key to make sure Ubuntu is at the top.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • r1skware
    r1skware Member Posts: 3 New User
    Did you solve your problem ?
    I have the exact same problem I can't install Linux disto on my 1-732 :(
  • henman
    henman Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I presently have Zorin on my Acer Aspire One AO533 dual booted with Windows 7 Starter and now Windows Home Premium. I managed to use regular Ubuntu 64 bit on it as well and have had difficulties getting a dual boot with Win10 and Linux but they have solutions for that. From what I have always found is its easier to install Windows first and Linux later because if you install Linux first Windows messes around with your Linux and overwrites the boot loader as well. 
    Yes I ran Win10
    on this little Atom N455 BUT it was the first 2015 version and improvements have been made with the present 2019/20 1903 including performance improvements. I yanked out the older version but now that Win 7 is discontinued I will explore Win 10 again. The 2015 version installed like it was meant to with no problems except ran line my Win 7 Starter with one gig of RAM. I have since upgraded to 2GB and a SSD. I tried a Win 10/Ubuntu on my desktop but was unsuccessful and the Ubuntu forums have answers into these problems and I will try again later on. Either or works great, it's just the boot loader that takes a different step. 
    Oh BTW I prefer the latest Ubuntu over this Zorin but the Zorin flavor I'm using is a light version. My Acer and Atom are 64 bit even though it's not advertised as such but if you need 32 bit the light versions offer both. 
  • Athulmessi
    Athulmessi Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have problem install Linux on my Acer aspire ES 15
    I tried two Linux distro but installation stuck and system is stuck power button Deep pressed for turn-off
    How to install Linux on my laptops
    My laptop Acer aspire ES 15  ES1-533-P21L
  • Redspinez_The_Gamer
    Redspinez_The_Gamer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Download virtual clonedrive. It has a sheep logo. Then download the Linux iso image. Once it’s installed, open files, right click iso and click mount to virtual clone drive and click the notification at ur screen. Then click run setup. Then u know what to do.
  • VictorKK38596
    VictorKK38596 Member Posts: 10 New User
    I would recommend Linux Mint, it is stable and lightweight. There are different versions based on XCFE, MATE and Cinnamon. XCFE is the lightest one, however Cinnamon is the one that pleases the eyes the most. 
    Requirements:
    8GB USB.

You could use BalenaEtcher or Rufus to create a bootable installer. It installs fairly quickly.

This link: Choose the right edition — Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation (linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io) will guide your through their installation process.