W510 touchpad is flakey

tinypocket
tinypocket Member Posts: 9 New User

The W510's touchpad is very flakey -- do I just have a devective keyboard / device or are they all like that?

While using it the mouse will jump to random spots or someties will get stuck so I cant move he curser further left or futher right. If I don't touch it for a few seconds it becomes ok.

Answers

• skylord13
    skylord13 Member Posts: 4 New User

Mine is like that too.  Someone wrote about it happening on theirs in an Amazon review and also on a Newegg review so it sounds like more than just a few units.  I contacted Acer support and they want me to send in the keyboard and tablet which I don't want to do.  Hopefully its just a driver issue and Acer can fix it with an update. 

• Hart932
    Hart932 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm encountering this problem as well. Loading in Synaptics touchpad drivers does'nt solve the problem either. I'm thinking its a manufacturing problem with the touchpad. If its drivers issue, it won't be random. It like its tracking fine one minute & looses the tracking the next.                                                                                                                                                

• neche
    neche Member Posts: 2 New User

You might need to send it in that has happened to me

• Tony-home
    Tony-home Member Posts: 11 New User

I have the same problem. Usually the touchpad works OK, but every few hours the mouse starts to jump randomly when I'm using the touchpad OR moves only vertically (horizontal movement appears to be blocked).

I found that if I wet my finger it seems to resolve the problem, which probably suggests that the touchpad sensor is flaky. So far it is annoying but not a killer. If it gets worse or if I get tired of this problem might have to send the keyboard dock for replacement.

• tinypocket
    tinypocket Member Posts: 9 New User

neche, have you sent yours in? Did you get it back yet and if so are you no longer seeing the issue?

• Teval
    Teval Member Posts: 3 New User

Same here, and its happening more and more frequently the more i use the device. Anyone returned the device and got a new one that didnt have this issue?

• superryo
    superryo Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

i had an issue where the touchpad was flaky and was unable to shut down properly - had to hold down the power button.  returned the unit and got a new one.  no issues with power down and touchpad works flawlessly now.

• Igelqott
    Igelqott Member Posts: 3 New User

Can we get a official comment on this?

Everyone i know, and everyone ive talked to on forums, have this problem with the device, not a single one that isnt affected, except superryo apperantly.

Is it a hardware fault, should we all just send back these W510's or what should we do?

• PerKjaer
    PerKjaer Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the exact same problem.

Acer, should I return my W510 or do you have a fix for the problem?

- Per

• clarity1981
    clarity1981 Member Posts: 10 New User

Why is this issue being avoided??

• skylord13

This is the exact reason I was so hesistant purchasing a tablet from Acer.  I have a Surface RT and an iPad 3 and the support for both is amazing.  This is my 1st Acer product and other than the touchpad issue I really dont have any major complaints.  Some say it's made of cheap plastic but to me it is light and durable.  I would really like to keep it but not if I can't get any official support other than "send us your brand new tablet and dock for repair".  I might feel more confident if their first response to my support ticket wasn't "We understand you are having issues with your W500..." I think they have a winning product here but they need to step it up with updates and support.   

• superryo
    superryo Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Everything was working fine until an update today and after rebooting, my touchpad is now flaky as well.  grrrr

• fabienpks
    fabienpks Member Posts: 2 New User

I posted a negative review about the W510 on amazon website. I hope it will help to make Acer fix this issue...

• skylord13

I returned my W510 and received a replacement today.  So far so good with the touchpad although there have been a few moments of flakiness.  Unfortunately, I inherited a new issue that seems to be going around...I'm losing my sound and then the only way to recover it is to reboot so I'm pretty excited about that. Also, the tablet really doesn't dock with the keyboard smoothly like my other one did.  One side seems to pinch a little more so I have to really push it down to trip the latch. 

1st W510 flakey trackpad, random lockups

2nd W510 random sound loss, hard to dock

New support ticket and and an e-mail to Newegg.  Hopefully they'll let me get out of this thing.  Sure would be nice to hear from Acer on these issues and what they plan to do to address them.

• clarity1981

Acer seems to respond to the other issues on this forum rather quickly. The trackpad and sound issues for the w510, however, are being ignored for some strange reason. Makes me worry a little bit. It's too bad, other than these issues, i think this is the best convertible tablet you can get these days. Unfortunately, the trackpad issue renders the device pretty useless as a laptop. It may be time to take another look at either the Asus VivoTab or the Samsung Ativ Smart PC.

• Igelqott
    Igelqott Member Posts: 3 New User

Im kinda sad that Acer isnt responding to this.

Ive had ppl tell me its a low budget low service company, but i didnt think it was this bad.

I do like the product, and they really do have a winner here, but they fail to realize and take advantage of this.

This is likely my first, and last Acer product. Im gona return the W510 and wait for the surface pro.

• Teval
    Teval Member Posts: 3 New User

Returned my w510 today and got a new one, same issue with the trackpad right away....

• clarity1981

This HAS to be a software issue with the devices.

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew

We would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.
    Acer Service and Support

• clarity1981

Travis, does Acer plan on releasing an updated driver for the touchpad any time soon?> That's all I want to know.

This discussion has been closed.