Acer Predator G9-793-71SJ SSD Upgrade

Twingo86
Twingo86 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi all,

I have a question, i have upgraded the stock second hard drive for a Samsung 860 QVO 2TB. Now i am thinking to upgrade my nvme card as well. I am thinking to add 2 Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD sticks.

My questions now are:.
1. Can my laptop use these sticks ? (i think the anser is yes, just to make sure) -> https://www.samsung.com/nl/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/980-1tb-nvme-pcie-gen-3-mz-v8v1t0bw/
2. If i am not wrong 1 port is nvme and the second one uses sata 3 ? it will work but with half speed ?
4. I noticed my board has CON5101, i have read in 1 other topic that this would indicate what socket is supported. But it didnt list mine (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/494509/predator-g9-793-ssd-question). Which one do i have ????
  • CON5102: SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 and PCIe X4 NVMe (both supported)
  • CON5103: SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    1, 2 and 4) Yes, accept gen3x4 ssds:

One accepts only nvme and the other only sata 3.
    3) 
    If it's the same size, I think it will be compatible:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Twingo86
    Answer ✓
    Is said in post 1 i am thinking to buy 2 samsung 980 1 tb nvme cards to install them in my laptop. Those cards are gen 3

You said it would work on the second port but with sata 3 speed. The nvme port worked fine with the samsung card but the sata port with nvme killed the second card, yes the chip burned and smelled bad. I inmediatly turned off the laptop to check. The card was very very hot. So i trashed it and bought a sata card (the m and b key) and luckely it works

So now i have Samsung 980 1tb nvme installed and a WD Blue 1tb sata

I should have known the nvme card wouldnt work because i had to place it upside down...also it had problems to attach.

I am happy the ports didnt burn,

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

3) 
    If it's the same size, I think it will be compatible:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Twingo86
    Thanks for your reply, good to know! Waiting for the adapter now and i will post a picture of it when it is applied in the laptop.
  • ok my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86
    2 Days ago i swapped the main NVME drive because i sold the toshiba for €49,70 (that's a nice price lol). I am very surprised by it's speed.

Still waiting for the adapter from aliexpress to install the second one.
  • The ssd samsung 980 evo is fourth generation gen4x4. but its speed is being limited by the pcie gen3x4 port of the laptop.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86

I added the second stick to the second port which is SATA 3. I used the same NVME card and guess what ... my ssd got fried/burned a chip. The card is dead. NVME is possible to add to the second port right ?
  • Twingo86
    As you said it could
  • Twingo86
    edited July 2021
    Yeah thought so, you gaved wrong advise and now when my ssd got burned out you dont even reply.

Thanks for wasting €149,00 😡
  • No, I said there is a sata 3 port and another nvme, see:

3) If it's the same size, I think it will be compatible:

Are you sure the ssd burned? Also, as I said before, your notebook has a gen3x4 and not a gen4x4 pci port.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86
    Answer ✓
    Is said in post 1 i am thinking to buy 2 samsung 980 1 tb nvme cards to install them in my laptop. Those cards are gen 3

You said it would work on the second port but with sata 3 speed. The nvme port worked fine with the samsung card but the sata port with nvme killed the second card, yes the chip burned and smelled bad. I inmediatly turned off the laptop to check. The card was very very hot. So i trashed it and bought a sata card (the m and b key) and luckely it works

So now i have Samsung 980 1tb nvme installed and a WD Blue 1tb sata

I should have known the nvme card wouldnt work because i had to place it upside down...also it had problems to attach.

I am happy the ports didnt burn,
  • I did not say that. What I stated is that STORAGE 1 only accepts NVME and STORAGE 2 only accepts SATA 3, see:

Have you installed this adapter on the sata 3 or pcie nvme port?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Note that con5102 port accepts sata 3 and nvme. Port 5103 only accepts sata 3.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86
    Does not matter anymore, i guess we both misunderstood eachother. My question was in point 2 if the nvme card would fit in the second slot and work with sata speed.

"2. If i am not wrong 1 port is nvme and the second one uses sata 3 ? it will work but with half speed ?"

I now learned it's not possible and will kill the card (burned to death LOL) ... anyway have a nice day.

• Everything is fine. No problem ;) 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Just one question: Did you buy this adapter?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86
    edited July 2021
    Just one question: Did you buy th

s adapter?

I did and cut it into pieces, that one is not good for the sata 3. So now a piece is keeping the sata 3 card in place temporarly

I ordered a new one and will apply it later

Also my mobo only has con5101, see picture in post 1 😃

• Twingo86
    Well the self made brick works perfectly

• I was still intrigued by the ssd burning, even though it connected to a sata port. What is the voltage of the ssd 980 pro? It should be somewhere around 3.3v.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Twingo86
    I was still intrigued by the ssd burning, even though it connected to a sata port. What is the voltage of the ssd 980 pro? It should be somewhere around 3.3v.

Where did you see me write that i have the pro one ? Thats also states in post 1 that i just have a 980 nvme

And if you place the second nvme upside down the pins dont match...which result in wrong voltage. You cant place a m2 upside down like i did. That caused a chip to melt/burn and the whole card was very very hot. I just was in time to turn of the laptop ... I dont want to know what would happen if i didnt notice it.
  • Therem
    Therem Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho

Hello, sorry just a quick question my predator 17 G9-793 Is it compatible to change the HDD 1TB for an SSD 2TB?

What happend is that i want to change the HDD of my laptop for an SSD

The one that i want to change is the disk 2, and the specifications of the one that i bought are these ones.

so it is not a problem to change my HDD for an SSD?