Are the hinges less likely to break if the case is made from metal?

Callistemon
Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Hinges break frequently on laptops made from plastic. Are laptops made from aluminum or magnesium less susceptible to broken hinges, or is the case material irrelevant to the quality of the hinges?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe it's less the material than the design of the mounts. Screws hold the hinges to the mounts, and if there isn't enough material around the mount to relieve the stress, the mount breaks. Typically the screw doesn't break and the hinge itself doesn't break, it's the mount that's formed into the case. Better material allows the mount to handle greater stress, of course, but there are other considerations in the design process. People these days want thin and light, and that means less, and lighter material in the case halves.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    edited June 2021
    CallistemonCallistemon

It mostly depends upon the way people handle it.  There a different types of plastics.  Some of them are equally good when comparing to metal hinges.  If you google "hinges on laptop"  you will be able to see complete design of hinges used in laptops.  

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    If a "stronger" material is used for the case, are the hinges any less likely to break than on a laptop with "weaker" material, assuming both are handled exactly the same? Magnesium is definitely stronger than polystyrene, even though there are plastics that are much more similar in strength to metal.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    Callistemon

Yes you are right.   We need to handle it with care especially while opening and closing the lid. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe it's less the material than the design of the mounts. Screws hold the hinges to the mounts, and if there isn't enough material around the mount to relieve the stress, the mount breaks. Typically the screw doesn't break and the hinge itself doesn't break, it's the mount that's formed into the case. Better material allows the mount to handle greater stress, of course, but there are other considerations in the design process. People these days want thin and light, and that means less, and lighter material in the case halves.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.