My Acer Aspire A315-31 does not boot without acpi=off

Urvee
Urvee Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi

Laptop came with endless OS but later I had changed to windows 10.Suddenly it stopped booting.
If I try to reinstall windows 10 using USB..it boots to black screen or sometimes Windows installation screen of selecting date/Time just flashes and then black screen comes.

I tried installing/running Ubuntu and endless OS but both loads to black screen. However only when I edit in grub and set acpi=off  then both Ubuntu/endless linux OS works fine

What is the solution on similar lines to boot windows?

I cannot update bios as acer website only shows .exe files of bios which cannot be executed on Ubuntu or endless OS

If anyone has the solution for this please let me know

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Do you intend to keep linux installed? What happens when you delete all partitions?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Urvee

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho
    I dont want linux. how do we delete all the partitions?
    I want to install windows on it
  • You must use a microsoft iso and perform a cold install.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Urvee

Tinkerer

Hi
    can you please give me steps for cold install?
    i have the iso downloaded
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Urvee

The concept is to boot from the device that has the Windows image and start the setup process from there.

- Connect the device with iso to the PC, either it is DVD disc or USB flash drive

- Power on and keep tapping the F12 (or Fn+F12 keys, some other PCs may use other keys such as F2 or F8) to reach the boot menu and select the device and hit Enter

-If cannot reach Boot Menu, next time keep tapping Del key to reach BIOS, move right arrow key to the Boot Tab, and change boot priority of the iso device higher than the existing HDD and hit F10 to save and exit

-Windows Setup should begin, select Setup ( not repair)

-You will be asked to where to install Windows, highlight the drive where you want Windows to be installed ( if you just have only one drive, don't worry about what drive to choose)

-Just let Windows wipe out the existing Linux distros on the drive

-You will be asked the Windows product key, if you PC had Windows shipped with it, the product key will be embedded in the motherboard and Windows will automatically recognized it as a digital license. If the PC did not ship with a license, then you may need to get a license from sellers .

-Proceed forward and follow instructions, usually it may need a couple reboots. If you did not select iso device from Boot Menu, you may want to change boot priority having the disk drive higher than the iso device in BIOS or remove the iso device

-Activate Windows first time by answering some questions

• Urvee

Tinkerer

ttttt

I have already tried those steps. however when it boots from USB..it either boots to black screen or..just the date and time selection screen of windows installation  pops up and before I select anything it goes to black screen again. date and time screen just pops up and goes black in less then half second.
    Secure boot is disabled in bios.

• Urvee

Tinkerer

@ttttt
    same black screen i get for starting linux too.HOwever if i disable acpi (make acpi=off) in grub edit.then it boots correctly
  • Urvee

Tinkerer

ttttt

I have already tried those steps. however when it boots from USB..it either boots to black screen or..just the date and time selection screen of windows installation  pops up and before I select anything it goes to black screen again. date and time screen just pops up and goes black in less then half second.
    Secure boot is disabled in bios.

• I'm not sure it will solve the problem. But I think you have to update the bios:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ttttt
    @Urvee

The method that I mentioned will work normally for wiping the Linux clean with Windows.

How about just download Gparted?  Bootup from Gparted. Have Gparted delete the Linux partitions and reformat the disk( or Windows installation will do formatting for you).

Since your PC is now in Linux environment, if you update BIOS, you need to find the version with the trailing letter "L", that stands for Linux version.
  • ttttt
    @Urvee

It seemed to be the problem with USB booting process. How about trying to use DVD disc for bootup ( assuming that you can access to an external DVD drive to boot, choose DVD disc instead of USB when running the Media Creation Tool)? 
  • Urvee

Tinkerer

I'm not sure it will solve the problem. But I think you have to update the bios:

Hi

I cant update the bios as this needs windows. ALl the bios on acer site are for windows OS.

• ttttt
    @Urvee

Since your laptop has no SATA DVD drive built in, your current problem may be caused by USB function fail with outdated BIOS. External DVD drives in the market are all USB connection type, you seemed to be out of luck for the mean time( if the cause is actually because of USB failed).

Maybe some professional technician can find some ways to do it.
  • Does the same problem occur when resetting the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Urvee

Tinkerer

what is acpi=off?
    why linux works only with acpi=off?
    what is the equivalent in windows?
  • Urvee said: what is acpi=off?
    why linux works only with acpi=off?
    what is the equivalent in windows? This issue can be fixed with a windows update. This command disables power features like sleep, hibernation.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer