Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Laptop 8GB RAM Upgrade

ShangWang
ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi all,

If I were to upgrade my 8GB RAM on my laptop by adding another 8GB to the 2nd slot, does it matter what manufacturer/type of ram it is? I know it has to be DDR4, but I'm ignorant to what else matters.

I think this is the exact same RAM I have for my laptop:

For Kingston 8GB DDR4 2666MHz 1Rx8 PC4-21300 ACR26D4S9S8ME-8 1.2V Laptop RAM New | eBay 

However I found another RAM that is the same but slightly different?

Kingston 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL19 SODIMM 1Rx8: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets 

What is the difference between these two ram sticks? Would both be compatible for my system? Are there different dimensions of RAM and how do you identify the dimensions?

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    @ShangWang

You can purchase the ram from any manufacturer.    We need to make sure that it is a compatible one. 

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    ShangWang

About your Nitro 5 AN515-53
    Maximum memory:
    32GB
    Slots:
    2 (2 banks of 1)
    Standard memory:
    8GB removable

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• ShangWang
    @ShangWang

You can purchase the ram from any manufacturer.    We need to make sure that it is a compatible one. 

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

Thanks, although I'm on a budget and am not considering to even "max out" my RAM or upgrade it anytime soon, I am just wondering about information regarding the difference between those two RAM sticks that I mentioned for when I may possibly upgrade with just +8 GB
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ShangWang,

As Acer-William says unit can upgrade the RAM upto 32 GB.
  • ShangWang
    Easwar said:
    Hi ShangWang,

As Acer-William says unit can upgrade the RAM upto 32 GB.
    Thanks, but I'm not interested in upgrading to the max, I'm just asking if anyone knows the difference between the two RAM sticks if there are any.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @ShangWang There is no difference in those sticks. They are both 2666MHZ 8GB DDR4
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • ShangWang
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ShangWang There is no difference in those sticks. They are both 2666MHZ 8GB DDR4
    I see, but one has 4 chips and the other has 8 chips on each side.
  • AnhEZ28
    edited June 2021
    @ShangWang it just matter for some Ultrabook, they require 8 chips on one side in order to fit. It doesn't have any difference in performance overall.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • ShangWang
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ShangWang it just matter for some Ultrabook, they require 8 chips on one side in order to fit. It doesn't have any difference in performance overall.
    I see, so would the 8 chip technically fit on the Acer or is it just for those specific laptops?
  • AnhEZ28
    @ShangWang 8 chips on 1 side or 4 chips on both sides is fine.