RAM problems suddenly in A715-75G.

KaushikMajumdar
KaushikMajumdar Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

So, it's been a year since I added another 8GB stick of RAM. It was running OK all along and I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic and Care Center Memory Checkup to confirm that. Today, while I was unpacking a huge archive (.7z), the laptop display turned off (just display turned off, no sleep) and wouldn't respond. After I forced it to power off (holding the power button), it wouldn't turn back on again. There was no display backlight and the keyboard lights start flashing every 2s or so. I tried getting into the BIOS but to no avail. Then I learnt that such flashing could be caused by a RAM error so I removed the additional RAM stick and voila! It started booting normally. So I tried some combinations of RAM and the problem I arrived at doesn't seems to be quite bizarre.
  1. Slot 1: Stock RAM, Slot 2: Empty - Booting.
  2. Slot 1: Aftermarket RAM, Slot 2: Empty - Booting.
  3. Slot 1: Aftermarket RAM, Slot 2: Stock RAM - Booting.
  4. Slot 1: Stock RAM, Slot 2: Aftermarket RAM - Error.
So, the combination which was working for almost a year suddenly doesn't boot and everything else boots normally. I don't have a problem running the RAM in alternate slots, but I'm just curious as to why this might be happening.

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    Its really hard to say KaushikMajumdar, you might have to take it to a technician of trust, sorry.

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• OptimizeIndia
    OptimizeIndia Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,

Couple of things which you can try.
    -Try the RAM on a different compatible system(if possible) and if it works then the problem might be with the slot.
    -If you have performed all the troubleshooting steps then contact the RAM manufacturing company coz most offer a minimum 5 years warranty and they can replace the memory within the warranty period
    -If the issue is with the slot then it becomes complicated and expensive.

Make sure you take a backup before taking it to a technician or service center.
    All the best,
    Sandeep G
    Senior Analyst - Optimize India
  • KaushikMajumdar

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    Hi,

-Try the RAM on a different compatible system(if possible) and if it works then the problem might be with the slot.
    -If you have performed all the troubleshooting steps then contact the RAM manufacturing company coz most offer a minimum 5 years warranty and they can replace the memory within the warranty period

All the best,
    Sandeep G
    Thank you Sandeep for the reply. Since my system is working all fine and dandy after interchanging the slots, I've decided not to pursue the problem any further since this does not affect performance. I've had zero problems with my system since then, no BSODs or any memory errors. I can only wonder what actually went wrong in that one configuration and had just posted the question in case someone had the exact same problem and had found a plausible reason for this happening.
  • KaushikMajumdar

Tinkerer

Hi,

All the best,
    Sandeep G
    Thank you Sandeep for the reply. Since my system is working all fine and dandy after interchanging the slots, I've decided not to pursue the problem any further since this does not affect performance. I've had zero problems with my system since then, no BSODs or any memory errors. I can only wonder what actually went wrong in that one particular case and had just posted the question in case someone else had the same problem and fixed it/found the solution.