Sound Lag Predator Helios 300 PH317-53

SeaJay68
SeaJay68 Member Posts: 45 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello. 

I have Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53, Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, GeForce RTX, 2070 Max-Q 8GB Graphics.

Best laptop I've ever had, but a long way.  Trouble is, there's a noticeable audio lag which is spoiling my enjoyment of certain videos (Netflix for one). I've gone into the Sound settings and checked/unchecked various options, but nothing seems to work. It's fine when playing games, but otherwise, it's lagging. I also have the latest audio drivers and Windows update. 

It's defaulting to the Realtek audio software; there's also an NVIDIA High Definition Output  setting, but I haven't touched it because I'm not sure what I'm doing (but it does say it's "Not Plugged In" - so I doubt that's affecting anything). If it matters, the laptop is powered via the mains. 

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• SeaJay68
    Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi SeaJay68,

# Try to update the audio driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option audio.
    4. Under the title audio.
    ASUS Realtek Audio Driver Free Download
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title audio.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • SeaJay68
    Easwar said:
    Hi SeaJay68,

# Try to update the audio driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option audio.
    4. Under the title audio.
    ASUS Realtek Audio Driver Free Download
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title audio.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
    Hi Easwar, thank you for the reply and advice. I've already tried updating the drivers but it didn't work. I think I've located the issue though. I had a 3rd party sound enhancer installed. Once I uninstalled it, things look to be working again. 
  • SeaJay68
    And now it's not working again :(
  • Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    What media player are you using
  • SeaJay68
    edited June 2021
    Watching streams (Netflix, etc) on Chrome, and I also watch media on the VLC player. 
  • Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited June 2021
    Windows says sound lag on Netflix are Windows update problems, Who knows? Do you know about how to adjust sound lag with VLC player + and - keys.
  • SeaJay68
    I'm not so worried about the VLC lag, but no, I'm not aware of how to resolve any lag. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the issue was a Windows update, because it means I wouldn't have to send my laptop off to Acer for them to take a look at it. That said, I 'think' I've had two Windows updates and the lag still isn't fixed. 
  • SeaJay68
    Sent my laptop off to Acer and they said they'd fixed the audio lag. When I tested it, the lag was still there. 
  • SeaJay68
    Could someone please tell me what happens if Acer cannot fix my laptop, will I be given a new laptop?

Thanks all.
  • Try reinstalling windows by pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo. Check if the problem still occurs.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SeaJay68
    Try reinstalling windows by pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo. Check if the problem still occurs.
    Hello egydiocoelho. Thank you for the reply. 

I did a factory reset but the audio lag did not go away.
  • Try disabling this driver:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SeaJay68
    Hi egydiocoelho, thanks for the reply. 

I'm sure I tried that. Acer have my laptop now (I sent it back to them), so hopefully they can fix it this time. 

Thank you.
  • SeaJay68
    Just received my laptop back from Acer for a second time. Switched it on, and the audio lag is still there. And quite noticeable too. I shouldn't be surprised because Acer informed me they hadn't actually fixed anything because they can't replicate the audio lag issue at their end (so as far as they are concerned, there is nothing to fix). They stress tested it for a couple of hours which included a couple of hours of Youtube - and they saw no lag. Yet I just switched it on, and there is audio lag. 

The only thing different between Acer checking my laptop and myself - is the internet connection. That's the only thing that's different, and I doubt it's the connection because I regularly get 45-50 MBPS. 

Also, I don't get audio lag when watching Netflix on my son's laptop.

I am literally at a loss for what to do with my laptop. It's a bit worrying because I've only had it for 6 months and it cost me nearly £1,350.00. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi SeaJay68,

Unit will have a repair warranty plz contact acer again.
  • SeaJay68
    edited July 2021
    Easwar said:
    Hi SeaJay68,

Unit will have a repair warranty plz contact acer again.
    I have, and this will be the third time. I took out a 3 year collect and return extended warranty but I'm not sure how this can be resolved because Acer is saying they can't replicate the audio lag fault. I guess from their perspective, if they don't see the audio lag, there isn't anything to fix. 

I just hope they don't say something like, "We are not obligated to refund you in any way - because we see nothing wrong with the laptop." 
  • OK! Does the same problem occur when reinstalling windows by pressing alt+f10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SeaJay68
    I did a factory reset if that is what you mean, and when I immediately tested things, the audio lag was still there. 
  • Can you record a video of the problem and post it on youtube? Also, does the delay also occur when connecting a headset?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer