Upgrade SSD on Acer Aspire E 11 ES1-111M-C40S.

2»

Answers

• amdgamez
    amdgamez Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello YDE, thank you for sharing this mod.  I would like to ask if in your experience the SSD is working fine with jumpers on the tx/rx differential pads or maybe there is a risk of malfuntion or data loss.  It will be more easy to avoid soldering capacitors but i am not sure.  Excuse me if my english is not good.

• YDE
    YDE Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I have been using the SSD for a year now without any problem. In my case, the SSD is only used as data storage, not for the operating system.

Regards

• NeilQ
    NeilQ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just added the internal SATA connector and corresponding jumpers to my Aspire E11.  I used a through hole, right angle connector purchased on eBay.  It and the SSD fit perfectly (after you break off the fins inside the cover) .  Here are some of the issues I found that aren't addressed elsewhere in this thread:
    - Through my work I have access to a very nice Hakko desoldering machine.  But the holes for the connector were so small that the capillary action of the solder made clearing all of them virtually impossible with vacuum.  I finally just used a small #74 0.022 drill bit in a pin vise to clear the holes.  This was very easy to do.  I spent 30 minutes with the Hakko without complete success but I cleared all of the holes with the drill bit in about 5 minutes.
    - I didn't readily have the 0.1uf caps in a 0402 size so I just bridged the pads with wire.  This is working fine.
    - After cloning the internal EMMC "drive" to my new SSD I could not get my new SSD to show up in BIOS as a boot option or get the machine to boot from it.  I could, however, see and use it as any other Windows drive storage.  Finally after re-partitioning and re-formatting the internal EMMC with no primary partition the machine booted right away from the SSD.  And the EMMC simply shows as another available drive in Windows.  Curiously the SSD still does NOT show up in BIOS as a boot option, yet the machine boots from it and runs fine.
    - FWIW before installing the SSD my Windows installation was totally crippled due to the limited space.  The machine was unusabley slow with only a trivial amount room "available" on the 32G EMMC.  Now it's like a new machine.  I can't call it fast but it is very usable now.  And the windows c: drive exploded to consume almost 60G after installing all of the pent-up windows bloated updates.

Hope this helps somebody that's decided to give this a try.  It really isn't that hard if you have the right tools and some experience with fine pitch soldering.  Adding the SSD gives the machine a new and usable life.  Without this upgrade I would have sent it off to be recycled.

Connector used:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Sata-7-15-Pin-22-Pin-Right-Angle-Female-Hard-Drive-HDD-Connector-Adapter/171720425369?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• justpassingthrough
    justpassingthrough Member Posts: 9 New User
    NeilQ!

Yes its going to help me, you've saved me from a Cronenberg exploding head moment !! Been going around in circles about doing this and was unsure of a connector reference found from another video which is 47018-4001.

Apart from the obstacle of finding a correct SATA connector, upon opening it up yesterday I noticed that the vias have been flowed with solder and as I 'suck' at de-soldering I imagined it would be a right pain in the acer! I've got an Aoyue de-soldering iron and whilst its worked decently for replacing simple components on single sided boards dont think it would hack it on this.

I dont have a good small sized hand drill though so will have to invest.

Could you recommend the cloning software for the EMMC drive?

Will have to see if I can get these connectors now locally first perhaps!

Thanks!

• picklemonster
    picklemonster Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks to the contributors on this thread I've been able to add a SATA socket to my ES1-111M and it's working nicely.

The socket I used was described as "Sata 7+15 Pin 22 Pin Right Angle Female Hard Drive HDD Connector" on eBay.  It's not a perfect fit -- the mounting pegs are too narrowly spaced and had to be removed -- but is is a through-hole part so no leg bending was necessary.  A slightly lower-profile connector would also be better, since this one angles slightly to meet the SATA connector on the SSD.

The solder fill in the holes was annoying.  What worked for me was the following:
    • Fill the hole to its brim with solder using a soldering iron
    • Add some flux (Edsyn FL22 is great stuff)
    • Preheat the hole with a hot air gun at 380 °C for 10-20 seconds
    • Jump in quickly with some desoldering wick and a soldering iron
    Pre-filling the holes allows the molten solder to reach the wick.  Some of the holes (presumably those which don't connect to internal planes or hefty traces) did not need preheating to clear with the wick.

I used four 0 Ω 0402 resistors on the differential pairs mainly because I didn't spot that these should really be capacitors.

As reported by others, the drive does not show up anywhere in the BIOS but the OS (Xubuntu) has no problems finding and using it.

Using hdparm I get 270 MBps sequential read from an SK hynix Canvas SL308 SSD, compared with 127 MBps from the on-board 32 GB eMMC.

I'll probably have a go at putting the OS on the SSD in due course.

Paired with an 802.11ac WiFi card (I'm using one with a QCA9377 chipset) and an 8 GB stick of RAM (Crucial CT102464BF160B) this mod has given this old netbook a new lease of life.
  • pivoi
    pivoi Member Posts: 1 New User
    . if you are looking for reliable devices, accessories and smart technology products.Pivoi is the best brand for you.Being a registered brand in the United States, Pivoi continues to focus on researching, designing and developing authentic and reliable devices, accessories and smart technology products. We thrive on the reliability of our products and the impeccable customer experience, thereby bridging the gap between people and technology.https://www.pivoi.com/
  • LuisF1971
    LuisF1971 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello to everybody. 
    Thank you so much for the full instructions to fix the HD in this model of ACER computer.

After to read this I am in the process to implement it. I already have the Sata Female connector. I have bought in Aliexpress. The correct connector 90º is this:

You need the "K" or "H" type. It is not 100% the right connector, but it is 99%, so I am using it (K type)!. It is perfect and valid 100% for this pcb.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001884441817.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.112463c0SMpqds
    Remember: Type K !!!!

Now I am in the process to fix the capacitors. Tomorrow I will try lo get some o them from an old hard disk and old motherboards that I have in my lab.

Also I am going to install SDD of 480GB. This is the model:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32711891166.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274263c0aW2UqL
    480 Gb. It looks to be enought for Windows 10 x64 pro & Office 16.

Thank you so much for your clear instructions!!!.

My best regards,
    Luis.

• LuisF1971
    LuisF1971 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I forgot to comment that I have also changed the screen because it was broken and I have increased the RAM to 8 Gb. I bought these components. I have installed and they works fine!!!

Screen:
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002486238091.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274263c0aW2UqL

RAM:
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32821938724.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274263c0aW2UqL
    I ordered: 8GB 1600MHz 1.35V

My best regards,
    Luis.
  • Itsmeinit
    Itsmeinit Member Posts: 1 New User

I have just upgraded a Acer Aspire ES1-111M V3-112P Motherboard Celeron N2840 32GB eMMC NB.MRS11.001 with the sata connector and the 9 chips that are next to it (top and bottom of the board) of a Acer Aspire E3-112 DA0ZHKMB6C0 Model ZHK. After the transfer of the sata connector and chips desolder the eMMC chip because it will conflict with the ssd drive. The SSD will show in the bios. I installed a 240 ssd and loaded windows 10 with UEFI. Works a treat. My hobby is micro soldering, so a word of warning, if anyone tries to attempt it without the right tools will fail. Hope this helps anyone