Acer Spin3 315-51 and bought a Netac SSD M2 NVMe 256GB SSD is not working,

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: Does the Acer Spin 3 have a spare m.2 or msata slot for a SSD?.

Answers

• Gustavo123123
    Gustavo123123 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hi, I have an Acer Spin3 315-51 and bought a Netac SSD M2 NVMe 256GB. However the SSD is not working, Acer is unable to recognize the SSD.  I already tested it in "create and format hard disk", "disk management" but the new drive doesn't appear. Someone can help me!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yes, as stated above, the SP315-51 supports a SATA SSD in the M.2 slot, not a NVMe drive. You need to swap your drive out with your vendor for a SATA drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gustavo123123
    Hi Billsey, thanks for helping me. Could you explain how SP315-51 supports Sata SSD and not NVMe drive? The Sata SSD has the B and M key while NVMe only the M key. As you can see in the screenshots of the previous post, the SP315 fit is perfect for the disk with only the M key. I can't understand how the Sata SSD will work.  Do you have the Sata SSD link for me to see? Thanks a lot for helping me
  • Gustavo123123
    NVMe fits perfectly in SP315-51
  • Gustavo123123
    Hi, This is a good picture of where the NVMe SSD fits.  Only M key tag just like NVMe, doesn't have M and B key tag for Sata SSD. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi, This is a good picture of where the NVMe SSD fits.  Only M key tag just like NVMe, doesn't have M and B key tag for Sata SSD. 
    Hi,
    M.2 SSD slot is same for M.2 NVMe SSD and M.2 SATA SSD, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SATA SSD in this model:Acer Spin SP315-51 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
  • billsey
    M vs. B keys get confusing, the M key just means the port support x4 throughput, B means x2. Neither says anything about the protocols... SATA works with either, NVMe can also work with either, but less likely with B keyed slots.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gustavo123123
    edited June 2021
    Hi guys, thanks for that.  I bought the wrong SSD based on the M plug that is identified on my laptop.  I thought the plug on laptop for the Sata SSD should be identified M and B key. Thanks, I will try to change my SSD
  • Gustavo123123
    Guys, as my laptop does not recognize NVMe HD SSD, if I make it an external hard drive enclosure casing, will my laptop recognize it? Thanks
  • billsey
    Yes, it will work as an external data drive with the appropriate case. I have my old NVMe x2 drive in a case with USB-C...
  • dibya005
    dibya005 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

To the concerned people with SP315-51, I upgraded my laptop Acer Spin 3 with KingSpec M.2 NVME PCIe 3*4 SSD and yes it working great with read and write speed of 1500 MB/s.

• billsey

@dibya005 you are posting to a bunch of threads... The SP315-51 models had a motherboard rev during the production that added support for NVMe drives on the newer version, earlier ones don't support NVMe and the original poster here reported. So, if you are going to purchase an NVMe drive for your SP315-51, be sure they have a good return policy so you can send it back if it doesn't work on yours.

• dibya005
    dibya005 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

After a lot of confusions about whether it supports or not I went to computer shop to upgrade ssd instead of purchasing SSD from online and doing it myself so that I wouldn't have to face hassle of returning it. yah m.2 NVMe didn't support but when he tried KingSpec M.2 NVME PCIe 3*4 SSD, it worked. By the way my acer spin 3 SP315-51 is 5 years old with I3 7th gen and I posted in a bunch of threads so that others wouldn't have to face the difficulty that I had to face.

• billsey

But the point is they might also have to face the same issue, since some do and some don't.