esp disk space not enough - spin 5 sp513-54n

osman2022
osman2022 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I have acer spin 5
when updating bios 
This message appears (esp disk space not enough)

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Spin 5 model do you have? It should be something like SP5xx-xxx-xxxx. Also, show us a picture of Disk Management so we can view your partitions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • osman2022
    osman2022 Member Posts: 2 New User
    My device  is spin 5 sp513-54n
  • billsey
    OK, that looks normal, other than the extra partitions you have created from free space on the original C: drive. There's nothing wrong there... If you assign a drive letter to the 100MB EFI partition can you check to see how much free space it has? The 100MB free you see now is not correct, you have to have a letter assigned before it will actually look at the space. If Disk Management doesn't let you assign a letter diskpart from an Admin command prompt should.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Behruoz
    Behruoz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have exactly the same problem. Please  kindly let me know how to update Bios and not to encounter ESP Disk Space not enough. Thanks
  • billsey
    @Behruoz, are you also using the same language as osman2022? I wonder if the EFI image on the drive is larger due to using 16bit coding on characters instead of 8bit... That would make the 100MB too small. If you are technical enough to feel comfortable with it, try using a utility to shrink C: by another 100MB, then expand the EFI partition to be 200MB. Retry the process with a bit more head room in that partition to see if it helps. If you are unsure though, don't try it because tweaking partitions can easily break things...
  • rdmurphey1976
    rdmurphey1976 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Was anyone able to fix this problem?  I tried expanding the EFI system partition with third party freeware, but is said it gave errors.
  • rdmurphey1976
    Also, I can't update Windows.  The error is - We couldn't update the system reserved partition.
  • rdmurphey1976
    edited January 2022

I made unallocated partitions next to it from C.
  • rdmurphey1976
    Here  is a picture:
  • rdmurphey1976
    In case helpful here is the view from disk management:

• billsey
    @rdmurphey1976 do you have exactly the same model as the original user? Are you also trying to update the BIOS (which version?)? What is on that D : partition? You really don't want to change the EFI partition, that will break booting more often than not. It would likely be best if you were to start a new thread for your issue. Include the full model number, what's going on and what you have tried so far.
  • PeterKz
    PeterKz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

osman2022 said:
    My device  is spin 5 sp513-54n
    I have exactly the same problem on the same model. Upgrading from 1.09 does not work with the installer for 1.10. Very frustrating.
  • billsey
    The message is generated by the Insyde updater when it doesn't have enough space on the EFI partition to write the new image. What does Disk Management say about the 100MB EFI partition?
  • shawkins
    shawkins Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem, same model. Absolutely ridiculous this hasn't been fixed. Updating firmware has NEVER worked for me. I'm still on 10.0. Computer crashes all the time, constantly runs into issues. I've only had it for a year. Learning Acer is completely incompetent.
  • billsey
    There is no version "10.0" BIOS for the SP513-54N. The BIOS versions start with 1.02 and go up to 1.10. Did you mean 1.10? If so you already have the latest BIOS version. Are you maybe trying to get Windows Update to replace the stock BIOS with something they want to install? Has there been anything done on the computer that might have changed the stock EFI partition from the normal 100MB size?