WHY DO I HAVE TO MANUALLY CONNECT MY WIFI ON THE ACER DESKTOP ??? - XC-215

MELB13
MELB13 Member Posts: 2 New User
As per the title at the moment my desktop XC-215 is a wired connection. The wifi would usually auto connect to let say my printer. I have had a new router ( this has been working since this new addition). I have found over the last few days that the wifi from my pc has to be manually connected to so i can use the wifi with my printer instead of having cables all over. This hasn't been the case previously , can someone help with this issue? 

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    What OS are you running on your XC-215? They came with Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux or FreeDOS. Wireless support is quite a bit different on different OSes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MELB13
    MELB13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Windows 8.1 OS
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    OK, the connection should be automatic unless there's an issue with the router settings. What encryption type are you using on the router, and which WiFi technology does it have? Your laptop WiFi is 802.11a/b/g/n, so supports both 2.4GHx and 5GHz connections and WPA 2 encryption. You might want to look seriously at upgrading to Windows 10, support for Windows 8.1 is going away the beginning of next year IIRC.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.