Acer Aspire xc 780 upgrade of motherboard?

OP3927
OP3927 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I just want to upgrade my cpu to amd cpu but it seems like intel motherboard will not support amd cpu, so i manage to upgrade my motherboard too, however i did not know how big is the motherboard and what motherboard can be put(My pc is such a small pc, which many of motherboard cannot be put). Also it seems like the plug behind will not support amd types
(i just feel lazy of doing research and open the pc)
XDD

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @OP3927

1) Your XC-780 can only support 7th generation CPU( and probably 6th gen) , that is why @StevenGen only suggested i7-7700 CPU upgrade, which has a benchmark close to that of i3-10100

2) I am thinking an entry level PC nowadays using i3-10100 CPU as the base.

Here is a link for the of a member who tried to buy a new PC and the communications by me and other members:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/1005254#Comment_1005254

I believe this member ended up buying an Aspire TC-895-EB11 with M.2 NVMe SSD.
    Generally speaking, an entry level PC with M.2 NVMe SSD market price now should be close to US $500, I even suggested the member to look into Dell Inspiron desktops.
    If you can tell me your budget and your requirements, send me a Private E-mail , I can give you some personal suggestion.
    With a $700-$800 budget and some existing desktop parts, I am planning my i5-11500 PC build.

3) Most Acer Aspire desktop PCs use custom PC cases and motherboards with the front panel ports soldered to the motherboard and this is the biggest problem if changing for different outside motherboards. For this reason, I'll suggest you not to think about changing for AMD CPU + motherboard with the existing XC-780.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    This is correct, the motherboard on your Aspire XC-780 is Intel based so doesn't support any AMD processor. I believe the motherboard is a DTX size, it looks like it's a little smaller than uATX anyway. Does yours have the 6th gen or 7th gen processor? Why do you want to change?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OP3927
    billsey said:
    This is correct, the motherboard on your Aspire XC-780 is Intel based so doesn't support any AMD processor. I believe the motherboard is a DTX size, it looks like it's a little smaller than uATX anyway. Does yours have the 6th gen or 7th gen processor? Why do you want to change?
    well i was doing some work of virtual machines and some time was so annoying by the speed cpu goes, and my friends told my that amd cpu is quite cheap and fast so i just want to have a change of it. And well my cpu is i3-7100
  • ttttt
    @OP3927

Your XC-780 most likely using i3-7100 CPU, an 1TB spinning HDD, and probably using a 2.5" SATA3 SSD at best.
    You don't just upgrade motherboard, you have to upgrade processor too.

Due to the advances in technologies in the recent years, entry level PCs today using i3-10100 CPUs already have the benchmark more than double to that of i3-7100, we are talking about three generations of CPU advancement here.
    If you are after higher performance, it is more economical to get a new PC.

Entry level PCs now using PCIe 3.0 motherboards, and they will support M.2 NVMe SSD. A PCIe 3.0 X4 M.2 NVMe SSD is more than 20 times faster than traditional spinning HDD. Current generation CPU pairing up with M.2 NVMe SSD is a big, big increase in performance.

If budget allows, getting an 11th generation PC will be even faster. No more i3 processors, starting with i5, will support PCIe 4.0 motherboards ( PCIe 4.0 doubled the speed of PCIe 3.0). That is the type of PC I am planning to build now.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    OP3927 said:
    billsey said:
    well i was doing some work of virtual machines and some time was so annoying by the speed cpu goes, and my friends told my that amd cpu is quite cheap and fast so i just want to have a change of it. And well my cpu is i3-7100

OP3927, just my opinion, take it as you may and depends on your budget? It would be much cheaper and less work for you to upgrade your slow Intel i3-7100 CPU that is a 2 core, 4 threads, 3.9 GHz and no turbo boost, L2 512KB and L3 3MB cache at 51W TPD to the higher and much better and quicker i7-7700 CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads 3.6 GHz to 4.2 GHz turbo L2 1MB L3 8MB cache at 65W TPD that will fit perfectly into your OEM current motherboard.

If you want to spend and upgrade further and take advantage of the OEM's Aspire XC780's full potential? Then upgrade the low OEM 220W power supply to a 500W PS and the existing outdated GeForce® GT-720 GPU to the newer and faster GeForce 1060Ti Mini and your RAM to the max 32GB at DDR4-2133MHz (PC4-17000) 1.2V 288-pin DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) which will make your Aspire XC780 1000 times quicker than wasting your money and effort to change the motherboard and the CPU to the AMD specs and GPU and power supply as you will save money and allot of effort.
  • OP3927
    ttttt said:
    @OP3927

Your XC-780 most likely using i3-7100 CPU, an 1TB spinning HDD, and probably using a 2.5" SATA3 SSD at best.
    You don't just upgrade motherboard, you have to upgrade processor too.

Due to the advances in technologies in the recent years, entry level PCs today using i3-10100 CPUs already have the benchmark more than double to that of i3-7100, we are talking about three generations of CPU advancement here.
    If you are after higher performance, it is more economical to get a new PC.

Entry level PCs now using PCIe 3.0 motherboards, and they will support M.2 NVMe SSD. A PCIe 3.0 X4 M.2 NVMe SSD is more than 20 times faster than traditional spinning HDD. Current generation CPU pairing up with M.2 NVMe SSD is a big, big increase in performance.

If budget allows, getting an 11th generation PC will be even faster. No more i3 processors, starting with i5, will support PCIe 4.0 motherboards ( PCIe 4.0 doubled the speed of PCIe 3.0). That is the type of PC I am planning to build now.
    well last question
    1) will my model support i3-11 or i3-10
    2) can u list out point by point that u suggested, i want to check if my budget is allow
    3) can u give amd cpu+motherboard that can put inside of my model (well if no, i may just buy a new one ww)
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @OP3927

1) Your XC-780 can only support 7th generation CPU( and probably 6th gen) , that is why @StevenGen only suggested i7-7700 CPU upgrade, which has a benchmark close to that of i3-10100

Here is a link for the of a member who tried to buy a new PC and the communications by me and other members:

Generally speaking, an entry level PC with M.2 NVMe SSD market price now should be close to US $500, I even suggested the member to look into Dell Inspiron desktops.
    If you can tell me your budget and your requirements, send me a Private E-mail , I can give you some personal suggestion.
    With a $700-$800 budget and some existing desktop parts, I am planning my i5-11500 PC build.

3) Most Acer Aspire desktop PCs use custom PC cases and motherboards with the front panel ports soldered to the motherboard and this is the biggest problem if changing for different outside motherboards. For this reason, I'll suggest you not to think about changing for AMD CPU + motherboard with the existing XC-780.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    First do a SSD, then bump memory up to at least 8GB, and only after those upgrade the CPU to an i7-7700 or i5-7400. The SSD will give the largest boost, the memory will help with virtualization and the CPU will help whenever that's the bottleneck (less often than you would think).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OP3927
    edited May 2021
    ttttt said:
    @OP3927

1)my budget is about 600-700
    2)any suggestion for amd ? with the same budget
    3) things that no need to buy:
       a) ram with 16GB ddr4 3200mhz (i have)
       b) keyboard+ mouse+ Screen
    4) things that needs to  buy:
       a) cpu+ fan+ motherboard+ gpu (original one is quite low)+ power supply (support the amount of the watts with all a,b,c,d)  
       b) 1tb ssd + 128gb usb3.0
       c) wifi adaptor (it seems like it was limited as 100MB/s)
       d) DVD reader?
  • ttttt
    @OP3927

Please check your Inbox. I had send you a private E-mail yesterday.
  • OP3927
    ttttt said:
    @OP3927

Please check your Inbox. I had send you a private E-mail yesterday.
    thank you, 
    however , i did not receive any email
  • ttttt
    @OP3927

First of all, sign-in  to this Acer Community page.
    The Inbox icon is  the third button from the upper right hand corner of the page.

This discussion has been closed.