Aspire 5 A515-51G-55X7 Battery Charging Problems

CzechMate
CzechMate Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2020 in Aspire Laptops
Model : Aspire 5 A515-51G-55X7

Problem 1 :
After a Windows Update ( 2019 ? ) the "go to sleep when battery is at x %" settings that I had disappeared. The computer will be working on battery power, and when it gets low, will turn fully off. When I restart, I can restore Chrome tabs that were open

Problem 2 :
Battery not charging properly. Battery will charge for several seconds ... then the laptop beeps and it stops charging .. then after several seconds, it will beep and start charging again. This can go on for hours. 

Problem 3 :
Battery not charging properly. Battery doesn't charge. I remove the cable, plug it back into the laptop and it will start charging for a few seconds, then stop. I remove the cable and plug it back in, and again, it will charge for a few seconds, then stop. 

Problem 4 : Battery won't charge, but will run on plug in power ( status is "0% available, plugged in", but the battery icon isn't showing that it's charging ). When I remove the cable, I get "0% remaining. Battery saver on.

These problems have been progressive over the past months, starting with Problem 1 and moving to Problem 4
Battery status was
11/2017 (when laptop was new) ... 50,000mAh
05/2018                                          45,000
11/2018                                          41,000
05/2019                                          39,000
11/2019                                          38,000
05/2020                                          28,000
20/08/2020                                     17,000

Any help greatly appreciated

Thread was edited to add model number to the title

Answers

• Download the hwinfo64 program and on the smartbattery tab, check the battery for wear. Then post a screenshot here.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CzechMate
    Downloaded that App
    Here are the results [ currently the laptop is plugged in and working, but effectively zero battery power. My laptop has become a desktop :-(  ]

• Your battery has 91% wear. You replace the battery:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CzechMate
    Thank you egydiocoelho for your help.

I've ordered a replacement 48mWh battery ( I could only get Lithium Polymer as opposed to the original Lithium Ion )

Question : Is there any soldering involved, or is a screwdriver (and care and patience) all I need ?

Thank you in advance !
  • No! Just make sure the new battery has the same voltage as the old battery.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CzechMate
    OK. Thank you for the advice. 

I will check that the voltage before connecting is the same as the current battery.

As a complete non-computer/ technical person, I will take some photos, and document what I did and post it here in case others have the same problem and want to attempt to replace the battery themselves.

Replacement battery details
    Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G) Original Akku 48Wh AC14B8K 15,2V
    Li-Polymer 15.2V / 3220 mAh / 48Wh PN : KT.0040G.006
    Price : 88 euro
    Arrival date : in 2 weeks

I've just run the HWINFO64 program again (on the current/ old battery), and now it gives a "Full Charged Capacity" of 27,816 mWh. As we saw the last day, this read only 4,150 mWh. 

QUESTION : Any ideas why this reading could have gone way up ? ( I haven't even rebooted the laptop between these program runs ) 

QUESTION : Could the problem be something else eg the laptop charging system ? Is there a way to test the integrity of the DC power input jack on the laptop ? Is this modular eg can it be easily replaced ? Could the software in Windows 10 around battery charging be the root cause of battery problems ?

Thank you in advance
  • CzechMate
    Here is the updated HWINFO64 output for the current battery, where you can see it now reads 27,816 mWh "Full Charged Capacity" after reading only 4,150 mWh capacity last week

• I don't think there is any problem with the dcin-jack connector or the power adapter. About the first question you asked, did you try to calibrate the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CzechMate
    Thank you egydiocoelho for your help.

I'm finding it hard to locate a replacement battery ( I'm living in Czech Republic ).

Question 1 : Is there some serial number that I should use in my search, or just continue to search for "Rechargeable Battery Acer Aspire 5 A515-51g-55x7" ? Or is there a resource you could recommend for buy this in Europe ?

Question 2 : Does it have to be Lithium Ion ( as the current one is ) or does Lithium Polymer work too ?

Question 3 : Is there any soldering involved, or is a screwdriver (and care and patience) all I need ?

Thank you in advance !
  • CzechMate
    UPDATE : 
     - I bought a replacement battery on amazon.de
     - With the laptop fully powered off and not connected to power, I used a pin to depress the reset switch on the bottom. Held it down for 15 seconds.
     - I unscrewed all the bolts from the bottom plate.
     - I unbolted the hard drive and disconnected it and removed it.
     - I took out the SDD
     - I pryed off the bottom plate. I used a guitar plectrum.
    NOTE : some internal bits of plastic feel out of the bottom cover. The bits were where a couple of the bolts fit into. Didn't affect being able to put the bolts backs on
     - I unplugged the battery, took it out
     - I put the new battery in, and plugged it in.
     - I put back in the hard drive and bolted it in place
     - I put back in the SDD
     - I bolted on the bottom plate and put the hard drive cover back on.
     - I switched on the laptop. It worked :)
     - I charged the battery, and let it run down to 0% power 3 times as per the instructions.

For someone who never opened anything electronic before, this was a very easy job.
    TOP TIPS
     - Go to ifixit.com and buy a proper set of micro screwdrivers. This will help you to not round out the bolts
     - If a bolt is stuck, more downward force helps more than more turning force. 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer