Predator PH315-53 It does not charge when powered up. It can be charged only in sleep or shutdown.

Speedjpop
Speedjpop Member Posts: 8 New User
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops
Dear Acer community and gurus,
I'm having problem with a 4-months old Helios 300. It does not charge when powered up. It can only be charged when shutdown or in sleep mode.
Tried searching the FAQ and forum for solutions.
Tried the recommended steps like CALIBRATION & BATTERY RESET, BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET and PROCESS FOR CALIBRATING BATTERY but none worked. The only step I didnt follow was the 'locate a hole at the bottom of the laptop, insert a pin and hold reset button for 5-secs' because there is no such for my laptop.
Laptop data are as follow:
Model: Predator PH315-53
Bios Version: V1.01
Looking forward to any assistance!

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• Speedjpop
    B.U.M.P.

No one able to help me???....so sad...
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Speedjpop,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Speedjpop
    Hi Easwar,

Tried this step before. Just retried it again. Both actions prompted that the latest drivers are installed.

• Speedjpop
    Read egydiocoelhos advice to ruts0418: Turn off laptop, disconnect power adapter, press power button for 12secs then leave laptop off for 30mins.
    Tried it as well. It seems to help laptop be able to charge when in use. However once I start game 'World of Tank', the charging disconnects. I got to manually switch off the power adapter and switch it on again, this action sometimes charge for 10secs then charging disconnects again. Sometime this actions does not enables charging at all.

Any other help/suggestions are welcome!
  • Easwar
    Hi Speedjpop,

Are you getting any blue or orange light indication when charger is connected. 
  • Speedjpop
    Hi Easwar,
    Yes I do. Orange with charging. Blue when fully charged. It will STAY blue when fully charged but as soon as I start gaming (World of Tanks), charging stops. Totally no LED lights up.

If I CONTINUE gaming, manually switch off and then switch on power, the charging will resume 1-second (orange turns on then off) only. No further charging possible.
    If I EXIT the gaming, back onto desktop or other non-gaming activities like internet surfing, manually switch off and then switch on power, the charging will resume (orange LED turns on and stays on).

• Easwar
    Hi Speedjpop,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Speedjpop
    Hi Easwar,
    Already done this couple of times. Both actions prompted that the latest drivers are installed.
  • Easwar
    Hi Speedjpop,

How long you are facing this issue. Did you installed any software in the unit.
  • Speedjpop
    Bought in Dec'20 and received in Jan'21. Installed Microsoft Office, World of Tanks and Call of Duty. Cant remembered when this issue happened, guess somewhere in Feb or Mar'21.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Speedjpop said:
    Dear Acer community and gurus,
    I'm having problem with a 4-months old Helios 300. It does not charge when powered up. It can only be charged when shutdown or in sleep mode.
    Tried searching the FAQ and forum for solutions.
    Tried the recommended steps like CALIBRATION & BATTERY RESET, BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET and PROCESS FOR CALIBRATING BATTERY but none worked. The only step I didnt follow was the 'locate a hole at the bottom of the laptop, insert a pin and hold reset button for 5-secs' because there is no such for my laptop.
    Laptop data are as follow:
    Model: Predator PH315-53
    Bios Version: V1.01
    Looking forward to any assistance!

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Hey Speedjpop, my advise to you is this, your laptop is under warranty, send it or take it back to Acer service in your area and 'Don't Touch It' as the warranty could be voided and get them to fix it. These power issues are complex and need expert diagnoses and are not a software issue, allot of the times its got something to do with the motherboard power and charging circuitry components that are faulty, burnt and/or shortening out and these components need expert diagnoses and fixing and or changing. Acer has the best expertise and if they can't fix it then they will replace your OEM motherboard with the exact parts, don't touch it as you will do more damage than fix anything.
  • Speedjpop
    Hi StevenGen,
    Ok, thanks. Now additional problem, it cant charge when powered on! needs to shut down then can charge!!! Disappointed with Acer....

Hi Easwar,
    Thanks for your numerous assistance as well.
  • anthonyf96
    anthonyf96 Member Posts: 1 New User

Either you have a bad adapter, charging port or input mosfet. its a common problem. i replaced the nikos mosfet with https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/toshiba-semiconductor-and-storage/TPHR6503PL1-LQ/14636880

This discussion has been closed.