what graphics card can I install in veriton x4610

Jessayy
Jessayy Member Posts: 3 New User
I have 4 gb ram, i5 2400 (2nd Gen), and it has 220 W on it, and I am looking for graphics card that is compatible with it.
There was a article that I read that I can install gtx 650 ti, can I install ti boost or just the ti? and is it possible to install 2 gpu on it?
Thank you
Ps. I don't know much about Tech stuff

Best Answers

• chuckm441
    chuckm441 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Hello Jessayy.  Up front, Acer does not provide other model specific details than you already gave unless you let us know either the S/N or the SNID.  So  without full details, this answer is only in the ballpark, so to speak.  For example, we can't tell from this if you have two (2) PCIe x 16 slots, or only one.

Having said that, a 220 Watt Power Supply (PSU) is far too little to run even one GeForce GTX 650 Ti card.  First, you will need a six-pin power connector for the new card.  And you need to cover prior needs, and then cover the max need for the card and still leave at least 20% overhead.  Idle it uses 65 Watts.  Under load it can consume up to 280 Watts  (Per https://www.techspot.com/review/583-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti/page13.html). As mentioned above (overhead), you should never exceed 80% of your PSU's max output (overheating would follow, and eventually PSU failure).  So consider 220 Watts as covering your prior needs, you need to be at least 600 Watts to add one of these cards and not overload your PSU. 

Formula:  220 Watt base requirement + 280 Watt stress draw = 500 Watts x 1.20 (20% safety factor) = 600 Watts

I wouldn't recommend a second one (assuming you do have two PCIe x16 slots), unless you get at minimum a 800 Watt PSU, and even that might not be enough.  Far better to have too much than to have too little.  If your purpose is gaming, that is what stresses them to draw the higher amounts of power.  If your purpose is mining, I did not look up what kind of power that might draw.  Look into that if that is your reason.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Jesayy

The on-board graphics not good enough for you?

From the picture of the motherboard, there is only one x16 slot, so you may forget about the 2 GPU configuration.

With the 220W PSU you can eliminate all those  2-slot type powerful graphics cards. I think your PC probably can take those GT 730 class of GPU, and marginal for the GT1030.

You may want to make sure the performance/benchmark of the GPU to be installed must be better than the onboard graphics being doing so. I think the performance gain from the one slot GPU will be minimum when comparing with onboard graphics.

Some people talking about adding a GPU, but the GPU will even runs slower than the original onboard graphics.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    @ttttt, you have that just backwards... The 'G' model has a discrete GPU like the GT 430, the non-'G' has just the chipset/CPU graphics. Which processor is installed is separate from the 'G' or non-'G', that's determined by the rest of the full SKU number. Any of them might have originally come with any of the offered 2nd gen, Sandy Bridge, CPUs. The FRU list shows them shipping with any of: i7-2600, i5-2500, i5-2400, i5-2300, i3-2120 and i3-2100.
    There are some third party supplies that can provide more than 220W, but the machine is old enough that putting a bigger supply in to try and drive a newer GPU is likely more hassle and money than buying a current lower end machine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Billsey,

When I typed my last message to @Jessayy, I opened up different tabs on the bowser and ensured that I was quoting from the right page. Maybe you can search for that and get the same results as I quoted. I wondered is that because of different variants from different countries.

I know, for @Jessayy's case it may be better to get a new, even an entry level type of PC , rather than keeping a PC with SATA2 type of connectors and spinning type of hard drive. However, the title here is "What graphics card can I install...", so I pointed out some possible ones. 

Yes, @Jessay, it is more economical and efficient to buy a current entry level new PC than keeping the old one,x4610. If pairing up with a M.2 NVMe SSD, you will feel the performance you could not imagine before (as long as you don't use it for heavy gaming).

Answers

• chuckm441
    chuckm441 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Hello Jessayy.  Up front, Acer does not provide other model specific details than you already gave unless you let us know either the S/N or the SNID.  So  without full details, this answer is only in the ballpark, so to speak.  For example, we can't tell from this if you have two (2) PCIe x 16 slots, or only one.

Having said that, a 220 Watt Power Supply (PSU) is far too little to run even one GeForce GTX 650 Ti card.  First, you will need a six-pin power connector for the new card.  And you need to cover prior needs, and then cover the max need for the card and still leave at least 20% overhead.  Idle it uses 65 Watts.  Under load it can consume up to 280 Watts  (Per https://www.techspot.com/review/583-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti/page13.html). As mentioned above (overhead), you should never exceed 80% of your PSU's max output (overheating would follow, and eventually PSU failure).  So consider 220 Watts as covering your prior needs, you need to be at least 600 Watts to add one of these cards and not overload your PSU. 

Formula:  220 Watt base requirement + 280 Watt stress draw = 500 Watts x 1.20 (20% safety factor) = 600 Watts

I wouldn't recommend a second one (assuming you do have two PCIe x16 slots), unless you get at minimum a 800 Watt PSU, and even that might not be enough.  Far better to have too much than to have too little.  If your purpose is gaming, that is what stresses them to draw the higher amounts of power.  If your purpose is mining, I did not look up what kind of power that might draw.  Look into that if that is your reason.

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Jesayy

From the picture of the motherboard, there is only one x16 slot, so you may forget about the 2 GPU configuration.

With the 220W PSU you can eliminate all those  2-slot type powerful graphics cards. I think your PC probably can take those GT 730 class of GPU, and marginal for the GT1030.

You may want to make sure the performance/benchmark of the GPU to be installed must be better than the onboard graphics being doing so. I think the performance gain from the one slot GPU will be minimum when comparing with onboard graphics.

Some people talking about adding a GPU, but the GPU will even runs slower than the original onboard graphics.

• Jessayy
    ttttt said:
    @Jesayy

I am currently using this pc without angy graphics card, that's why I want to install one. Do I need to change my psu when I will install the gt 1030? if so, what kind of psu should I change?
  • ttttt
    @Jessayy

It all come down to how you will use your PC. Are you going to use it for heavy gaming purpose? If you just want to have smooth graphics for daily operations (except heavy gaming and video editing), the GT 730 at about  US $120 should be fine. 

There are some different models of Veriton X4610, you are sure yours is not the 4610"G" model?  The "G" model uses i3-2120 CPU, while the X4610 uses i7-2600, both uses 220W power. The X4610 should have a GT 430 graphics card, while the X4610G should have Intel HD Graphics 2000 (on-board).Yours use i5-2400, seemed to be somewhere in between. Maybe there are variants for different countries.

The reason that I think GT 1030 will marginally fit your PC is because Dell Inspiron desktops all having 200W or 260W PSU and they can use the one slot GT 1030 card.

The GTX 650 Ti will need 450~500W PSU, so PSU upgrade is a "MUST".

I can see your PC is little old, using PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for graphics card and only SATA2 (not SATA3) interface for hard disks. This board probably will not be compatible with the current 2-slot type powerful graphics cards, that are mostly for  PCIe 3.0 boards,  even if you are willing to upgrade the power supply.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    @ttttt, you have that just backwards... The 'G' model has a discrete GPU like the GT 430, the non-'G' has just the chipset/CPU graphics. Which processor is installed is separate from the 'G' or non-'G', that's determined by the rest of the full SKU number. Any of them might have originally come with any of the offered 2nd gen, Sandy Bridge, CPUs. The FRU list shows them shipping with any of: i7-2600, i5-2500, i5-2400, i5-2300, i3-2120 and i3-2100.
    There are some third party supplies that can provide more than 220W, but the machine is old enough that putting a bigger supply in to try and drive a newer GPU is likely more hassle and money than buying a current lower end machine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Billsey,

When I typed my last message to @Jessayy, I opened up different tabs on the bowser and ensured that I was quoting from the right page. Maybe you can search for that and get the same results as I quoted. I wondered is that because of different variants from different countries.

I know, for @Jessayy's case it may be better to get a new, even an entry level type of PC , rather than keeping a PC with SATA2 type of connectors and spinning type of hard drive. However, the title here is "What graphics card can I install...", so I pointed out some possible ones. 

Yes, @Jessay, it is more economical and efficient to buy a current entry level new PC than keeping the old one,x4610. If pairing up with a M.2 NVMe SSD, you will feel the performance you could not imagine before (as long as you don't use it for heavy gaming).
  • Jessayy
    Thank you for answering my questions, I think I would just buy new one
This discussion has been closed.