WIFI drivers for Windows XP?

Alex89
Alex89 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have Gateway NV55C that came with Win7. I installed Windows XP SP3 and I cant figure out how to set up WIFI drivers. How can I find correct drivers that would work with XP since it originally came with Win7

I tried a lot of them but none seem to work. 

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Alex89,

Try to download the driver from the below link,

https://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads 
  • Alex89

Tinkerer

Hi I did go there but drivers are for Win7, not XP and they wont install. That's my whole issue. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Alex89,

I found that Windows 7 and Windows XP OS stopped updating the versions. So you can get a new driver for your OS I suggest you to contact your ISP support.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    In device manager does it say what the card is? Is it a AR5B97, if so maybe this one? https://www.atherosdrivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers-AR5B97-windows-xp-32bit.html

• Alex89

Tinkerer

Hi, I am not sure what card are you talking about and where to see that? When I go to device manager it doesn't tell me.It tells me my network adapters are WAN miniport and I also installed Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Etherenet and it shows there now too.

I also downloaded drivers you linked but there is no setup.exe or similar to install them. 
  • Leostat
    The wifi will be a card in the bottom of the machine :) ,  does it have anything under unknown devices? You may need to show hidden devices as well

its normal for there to be no Exe on the setup for drivers (or it used to be in XP!) head to device manager -> action at the top -> add legacy hardware -> Install myself (not the internet option, i think its worded differntly on xp) -> show all devices -> have disk -> browse to the folder with the files in 

It should install it. This will only work though if the wifi card is the one i guessed at :) I couldnt find a good hardware listing for your laptop though so it may be wrong. If you can get us what the card is by either seeing if there is a hidden / unknown device in device manager, or by popping the bottom off your laptop and having a gander i will have a nosey for the driver for you. 
  • Alex89

Tinkerer

Ok, found it. 

bcm943225hm, (online shows as "BCM943225HM BROADCOM Packard Bell Easynote TS13 P5WS0 Wifi wireless card")

Thanks for the help btw
  • Leostat
    edited April 2021
    Does the Lenovo package for it work? 

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds003606-broadcom-wireless-driver-for-windows-xp-32-bit-and-64-bit-thinkcentre-a70z

I don't have an xp box to test it on so it may do an annoying 'this ist a Lenovo check' 🤔 I'm trying to see if I can find a vendor provided package to reduce the chance of a malware infected driver haha
  • Alex89

Tinkerer

Wow it worked! You are the man!

I tried  broadcom_bcm430_560189 in the meantime and it didint work!

Amazing, and I lost all day yesterday trying haha. Thanks again!
  • Alex89

Tinkerer

Wow it worked! You are the man!

I tried