charge light - Travelmate 6495

Sailorsam
Sailorsam Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
Hi all,  I have acquired a travelmate 6495 with a fresh install of Windows 10 pro. The charge light blinks orange whether it is plugged in or not.  The battery was flat and would not charge so i figured it was a dead battery and obtained a generic battery. The issue is still there, I have tried a couple of other same rated chargers and it still does it.  There are 2 pins on the laptop battery connector that show 3.24 volts and one with 2.95 volts. The generic battery has about 54% charge in it and runs the laptop so it looks to be ok.  Anyone out there got any solutions or bright ideas thank you.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It is supposed to blink amber while charging then switch to solid blue when fully charged. It's possible with the battery you got that it never reaches what's considered a full charge by the system, but I don't know why it would be flashing while the charger is not connected. Acer shipped those models with two different batteries, a 6 cell and a 9 cell. The Acer part number for the 6 cell is: BT.00605.073 and for the 9 cell: BT.00903.013. I just had a thought, are you looking at the Power Status light or the Battery Indicator light? Here's what the SG says:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sailorsam
    Sailorsam Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Thanks for the response.  The charge light blinks amber whether plugged in or not. The battery has 11v across the 2 pairs of 2 pins at either end of the connector and the laptop has power on 3 pins (2@3.24v & 1@2.95v of it's connector when plugged in to the charger suggesting there is charging power there. I did see somewhere that if there was the required voltage on those 3 pins it should charge the battery. When plugged in the charge level doesn't change on the battery monitor. when i first fitted the battery it had 57% in and didn't change after sometime on the charger. I haven't been able to access another laptop using the same battery to see if it charges.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Sailorsam,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Try charging with the laptop turned off, to test the charger for proper wattage. You could also do a Windows battery calibration once you get it to charge some. Windows can get pretty squirrelly with the estimates when it's out of calibration.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.