Need to change boot drive after SSD installation and cloning? Acer Aspire TC-780-ACKI3

2»

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Those partitions look good to me. Try swapping the SATA ports, so the SSD is on the port the HDD used to occupy. Boot with Secure boot disabled, with F12 boot menu enabled and use F12 to select the SSD (since the HDD is disconnected, the SSDs version of Windows Boot Manager should be the only one offered).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amazingmrpants
    amazingmrpants Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Thanks for the update; however, I can't swap the port connections as the motherboard is using a cabled SATA connection for the HDD (typical 3.5 or whatever HDD porting) and the SSD is a dedicated slot (M.2 SSD connection).

I've booted with the HDD disconnected (and with Secure Boot disabled) after a fresh cloning procedure and I just get stuck (like I described before). The motherboard/UEFI/Windows 10 are all able to see the SSD, but it just doesn't come up as any sort of option in the UEFI boot order or the Boot Menu.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The the clone to the SSD failed. You can run two SATA devices (typically a HDD and ODD) and one M.2 SSD simultaneously. If the original drive was not cloned to the SSD, then the SSD won't have the EFI boot info on it, and you won't be able to boot to it. I forget which software you were using for the clone...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.