Not booting up after RAM upgrade - AN515-44 Nitro 5

AydenO2020
AydenO2020 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I have the AN515-44 Nitro 5 laptop. It came with an 8GB DDR4 SODIMM RAM stick and I wanted to upgrade it to 16GB by purchasing another 8GB stick. I purchased the PNY 8GB 2444 Hz stick at Best Buy this week and when I got home and installed it in the extra chamber, I turned on my laptop and the keyboard lit up, and the fans came on for a couple seconds and then stopped. I tried it by itself, tried switching the slots, pretty much every combo. So I figured maybe it was something with the stick itself after reading through some of these forums. So I go back, I exchange it for a PNY 16GB 2666 hz stick to try on its own thinking maybe it was a single vs dual channel issue. Well I pop this one in and same thing. Tried both slots. I don’t know if this specific brand just isn’t compatible or what but I can’t figure out why it isn’t booting up after the upgrades. 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    I have the AN515-44 Nitro 5 laptop. It came with an 8GB DDR4 SODIMM RAM stick and I wanted to upgrade it to 16GB by purchasing another 8GB stick. I purchased the PNY 8GB 2444 Hz stick at Best Buy this week and when I got home and installed it in the extra chamber, I turned on my laptop and the keyboard lit up, and the fans came on for a couple seconds and then stopped. I tried it by itself, tried switching the slots, pretty much every combo. So I figured maybe it was something with the stick itself after reading through some of these forums. So I go back, I exchange it for a PNY 16GB 2666 hz stick to try on its own thinking maybe it was a single vs dual channel issue. Well I pop this one in and same thing. Tried both slots. I don’t know if this specific brand just isn’t compatible or what but I can’t figure out why it isn’t booting up after the upgrades. 
    Firstly, install CPUz and look in SPD section to determine the exact spec of your OEM RAM' e.g. if its whatever DDR4-XXXXMHz and the exact speed/timing as a DDR4-2400MHZ or a DDR4-2666MHz should work, I don't know if and when you say "I purchased the PNY 8GB 2444 Hz stick"
    as 2444MHz is not a RAM spec? Did you mean DDR4-2400MHz? Also always install reputable RAM from a reputable manufacturer and don't buy these cheap and unknown RAM's.

This is the memory acceptable specs that your AN515-44 Nitro 5 laptop can take, your AN515-44 Nitro 5 laptop can take a max capacity of 32GB RAM e.g. 2x 4BG 2x 8GB and 2x 16GB combinations but not mixed like e.g. 1x 4GB and 1x 16 or 1x8GB and 1x 4GB or 1x 16GB, both RAM sticks have to be the same capacity and/or the same speeds so that you can achieve either 8GB (2x 4GB DDR4-2400MHz or 2x DDR4-2666MHz) or a total of 16GB  (2x 8GB DDR4-2400MHz or 2x DDR4-2666MHz) or 32GB  (2x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz or 2x DDR4-2666MHz), if you do this then your AN515-44 Nitro 5 laptop will work perfectly, also make sure that the RAM sticks are placed correctly into their slots and the slots are clean and that your new RAM works and is not faulty and its the above specs only. Get back to us and let us know if you are still having problems.
  • Zekejoy
    Zekejoy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Greetings, I tried everything you mentioned above, and none of that worked. I have 2PNY 16 GB RAM sticks, that I recently bought, and I am trying to install into my ACER nitro five. Upon trying to install them, I did both at the same time, and there was no response, then, I proceeded to try every arrangement I could, in total rebooting the computer 16 times, and nothing worked. I gave each set up at least five minutes, and the Key board would light up, the fans would whir for a second, then nothing. I tried putting the original ram, into each of the slots, and it work each time, proving that this was not an issue with the ram slots. I am not sure what to do, but I tried what you recommended in this post, and it did not work. Please let me know if you have any solution to my quandary!