For Aspire TC-220, what video card I can add?

Bingoloo
Bingoloo Member Posts: 2 New User
I have been searching online but no answer available. Just want to add a gpu to make the desktop running smoothly. What cards are compatible and which one is the best? Could someone give me the expert inside? Thanks 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Bingoloo said:
    I have been searching online but no answer available. Just want to add a gpu to make the desktop running smoothly. What cards are compatible and which one is the best? Could someone give me the expert inside? Thanks 

Firstly what year is your Aspire TC-220 desktop? As there are lots of models with different cpu, gpu that it came with. Now, if you want to change the graphics card to a new one and a better one (note; that you are restricted by the room inside the case and what the mobo chipset with the 1x PCIe 16x slot can take? You can't just put anything in there, as you have to firstly check what your PS (power supply) specs your Aspire TC-220 came with? As they came with a range of between 200W to as high as a 500W PS and most mobos have a "One PCIe x16 type graphics card slot". Also and due to the Aspire TC-220's AMD cpu I would look at the AMD Radeon type graphics card and appropriately match the new graphic card to match what is available and the room that you have inside the case, as you are restricted (see captions below). Also and as a guide, have a look at the specs of your existing graphics card with either CPUz or HWiNFO64 so you can upgrade to an appropriate and similar new graphics card of higher specs and performance. Its important to match the appropriate new card so that it will work best with your Aspire TC-220 desktop mobo and chipset and memory. Good luck and hope this helps.

Also and btw, the Aspire TC-220 supports SATA Interface with a Controller Integrated in the AMD FCH AMD A78 (Bolton D3) chipset and has Connectors Four SATA 3.0 ports and the memory type is DDR3 1.5V and DDR3L 1.35V DDR3-1600MHz SoDIMM's (2GB, 4GB or 8GB) dual channel up to a max 32GB total into its 4x slots. 

GPU removal guide from Acer service manual, as you can see that you are restricted to what new size gpu card you can fit into the Aspire TC-220 case, due to the 1x PCIe 16x slot position.

• Bingoloo
    Bingoloo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

First of all, my TC-220 is 2015 module, AMD A10-7800, 8G Ram, intergrated R7 GPU (no graphic card). I changed the PSU to CoolerMaster 550W because the original is 300w only. I recently tried to input GTX 680 but it did not boost up. One beep. 

When the GTX 680 was input, I had to remove the USB cable and disable the 2 front USB ports and the card reader. I can compromise that but since it did not work, I put them back.

The size you demonstrated in the picutre is 20cm inside the case of my TC-220.

So, a further question based on the specs, is GTX 1050 ti or mini compatible?  or as you mentioned AMD Radeon, what is the best type for my PC? Does 4GB matter in term of compatibility?

Thank you!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, the Aspire TC-220 shipped with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 so it is a UEFI boot environment. That means any modern card will work fine, as long as you have the power budget. Different SKUs came with different power supplies, so you might have a 200W, 220W, 300W or 500W supply. Check to see what the requirements for the card you choose are and replace the PSU with a bigger one of needed. IIRC the 1050 ti works just fine with the 550W you have.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Bingoloo said:
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

First of all, my TC-220 is 2015 module, AMD A10-7800, 8G Ram, intergrated R7 GPU (no graphic card). I changed the PSU to CoolerMaster 550W because the original is 300w only. I recently tried to input GTX 680 but it did not boost up. One beep. 

When the GTX 680 was input, I had to remove the USB cable and disable the 2 front USB ports and the card reader. I can compromise that but since it did not work, I put them back.

The size you demonstrated in the picutre is 20cm inside the case of my TC-220.

So, a further question based on the specs, is GTX 1050 ti or mini compatible?  or as you mentioned AMD Radeon, what is the best type for my PC? Does 4GB matter in term of compatibility?

Thank you!

As billsey above is suggesting the NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti is a good and suitable graphics card but and if you want an AMD? Either compare a similar specs AMD Radeon card of what the NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti is and chose a similar card from AMD or look at this "How to Find Graphics Card Compatibility with your PC?" for a more detailed guide but and always, make sure that these card sizes fit into the case and within the slot of your Aspire TC-220. Good luck and hope this is of some help.