8gb Memory upgrade for Aspire XC-704

Rickety69
Rickety69 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I want to upgrade from the standard 4gb to 8gb.  
I did a Crucial scan and it said the part no. is 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
When I ordered it I could see it is much too large to fits the existing memory slot.
My question is:  Is this really the correct part or have Crucial got their knickers in a twist ?
Any help gratefully received !

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    They might have sent you a DIMM module, could you please post the exact part number, like CT102xxxxxxx.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited April 2021
    Brummy beat me to it :D it looks like the board accepts laptop memory and i assume they sent normal desktop
  • Rickety69

Tinkerer

Hi,
    They might have sent you a DIMM module, could you please post the exact part number, like CT102xxxxxxx.
     0G029+5220The part Dr. Memory sent was: Memory RAM Desktop PC3 12800 DDR3 1600MHz 240 Pin Non-ECC Lot
    Before I ordered I asked them to confirm it was compatible and they said yes!  I have now returned it although it's costing me £3.20
    to send it by tracked Royal Mail
    The sticky label on the existing memory reads: DIMM KN4GB3F3D3000 if that is any help 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Rickety69 said:
    Hi,
     0G029+5220The part Dr. Memory sent was: Memory RAM Desktop PC3 12800 DDR3 1600MHz 240 Pin Non-ECC Lot
    Before I ordered I asked them to confirm it was compatible and they said yes!  I have now returned it although it's costing me £3.20
    to send it by tracked Royal Mail
    The sticky label on the existing memory reads: DIMM KN4GB3F3D3000 if that is any help 
    Hi,
    Yes, they have sent you a wrong module, DIMM modules are longer than SODIMM modules.
    Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire desktops | Aspire XC-704 | Crucial UK
    Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 1.35V SO-DIMM Memory | Ebuyer.com
    Kingston ValueRAM 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz SO-DIMM Memory RAM Module | Novatech
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Rickety69 said:
    I want to upgrade from the standard 4gb to 8gb.  
    I did a Crucial scan and it said the part no. is 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
    When I ordered it I could see it is much too large to fits the existing memory slot.
    My question is:  Is this really the correct part or have Crucial got their knickers in a twist ?
    Any help gratefully received !

First of all install CPUz and have a look at section "SPD" at what your existing RAM specs and part # of your existing RAM is? Which should be the type of 1x 4GB DDR3L 1.35V SoDIMM RAM. Then and either, match or add another of the exact specs of your 1x 4GB current RAM so that you have a total of the max 8GB allowed RAM for your Aspire XC-704 or and if you want to change the allowed speed/timing to a higher spec, then add appropriate 2x 4GB kits of memory that are available from reputable manufacturers of memory e.g. if your existing is a 1x 4GB DDR3L-1333MHz then add either 1x4GB of the same spec to give you 8GB or get a 2x 4GB DDR3L-1666MHz kit of a higher spec. This is the official and allowed memory specs for your Aspire XC-704 so match these:

• Rickety69

Tinkerer

Thanks for that. I just want to replace the existing 4GB module with and 8GB one. I don't want to change the CPuz.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    The system doesn't support a single 8GB module. You get 8GB in total by using two 4GB modules as StevenGen shows.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rickety69

Tinkerer

Thank you but I have to disagree. There is no provision for two separate modules and I have been advised it is a 'straight swap' to replace the existing 4GB module with a single 8GB one. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Spec is pretty specific here:
    • Support DDR3L 1.35V 1600/1333/1066 SoDIMMs (2GB or 4GB) dual channel up to 8GB total memory
    The image that StevenGen posted is right from the Service Guide. Here's the motherboard layout on an XC-704:
    As you can see, two SO-DIMM slots.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rickety69

Tinkerer

I really appreciate efforts you and others have made
    BUT my motherboard looks nothing like your illustration.  It definitely only has the one, fairly small memory slot.
    I am hopeful the 8GB module I have tracked down is now correct. We shall see. Many thanks again.
  • keithy397
    keithy397 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi Rickety69. 

Like you, I was hoping to expand my memory by 4gb (to 8gb) and was wondering if you used another 4gb slot or if you actually managed to use one 8gb slot in the end?

Cheers,
    Keith

• Rickety69

Tinkerer

Hi Keith
    This happened  9 months ago but, as you see from the correspondence there is no space for two x 4gb modules, so when I got the correct part I fitted one x 8gb. It was a straight swap and worked ok.  I only use it occasionally when I need the built-in DVD drive but am finding it rather slow and when I enquired was told that apart from increasing memory nothing else can be done to speed it up so I will be looking for a more modern replacement.  
    Best wishes
    Richard

• keithy397

Tinkerer

Hi Rickety69
    I too only use my desktop occasionally, my laptop does all the donkey work but I do use it daily and I'm getting tired with the snail like performance, at least in comparison to the 16gig I have on my laptop!  The advice and info from this post will prove to be very useful I'm sure.
    Hope you don't mind me asking but can you remember where you got the 8gig memory from?

Cheers,
    Keith

• keithy397

Tinkerer

Hi Rickety69
    I too only use my desktop occasionally, my laptop does all the donkey work but I do use it daily and I'm getting tired with the snail like performance, at least in comparison to the 16gig I have on my laptop!  The advice and info from this post will prove to be very useful I'm sure.
    Hope you don't mind me asking but can you remember where you got the 8gig memory from?

Cheers,
    Keith

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @keithy397

I always suggest people to add additional RAM matching the spec of the original RAM. The dual channel performance will be enabled and optimized this way.

How about download and install the CPU-Z program and get the spec of the original RAM and buy a matching set.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Rickety69

If you are still using traditional, spinning HDD you can change it to a 2.5" SATA3 SSD as boot drive for improved performance. It is like four times faster. You will appreciate the performance boost.
  • keithy397

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @keithy397

I always suggest people to add additional RAM matching the spec of the original RAM. The dual channel performance will be enabled and optimized this way.

How about download and install the CPU-Z program and get the spec of the original RAM and buy a matching set.
    I have CPU-Z installed (somewhere!), I'll check it out, cheers.

• keithy397

Tinkerer

I have CPU-Z installed (somewhere!), I'll check it out,
    Cheers.
  • RobTott
    RobTott Member Posts: 1 New User

There must be more than one motherboard for this model as my acer xc704 looks like the one in the picture with two dimm sockets!