Acer PH315 So I repasted with Mx-4, but just received Mx-6 today and question about the Vrams

Napkins
Napkins Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited April 2023 in Predator Laptops

Ok so, long story short :

- I wanted to repaste my Acer PH315-78-VL as it's been 3 years

I ended up buying Arctic Silver MX-4 and K5 Pro thermal paste..

about 5 days ago I changed the paste and used Only the Mx-4 paste on the CPU, GPU, and Vrams of the Gpu..

I had interesting results with even a couple of spikes in temps, and what I think is a throttled CPU.. (I think my cpu is throttled to only 3.9-4.0 Ghz when I think it's supposed to Turbo boost to 4.5 or so.. and the temps (while playing overwatch game) are posted below along with other pictures.

My point is, I bought Mx-6 paste and just recieved it today from Amazon (was $10).

I have 2 questions:

1. I repasted only using Mx-4 on the CPU/GPU/Vrams and left alone the other chips with thermal pads. I have K5 pro paste but did not use it yet because it says to ONLY use K5 Pro paste on where there was Thermal Pads! well, there was no thermal pads on the Vram chips but a Gum like Pink Paste (see pictures below)

-so Do I use it on the Vrams chips of the GPU? Right now I used Mx-4 on the Vram chips of the Gpu?

2. Do I just use the Mx-6 now that I have that and re-paste again even though I just pasted 5 days ago.. ?

I do feel I pasted the CPU wrong as I put too much and I feel like me being throttled down to 4.1 Ghz ( I think turbo should make it to 4.5 right?) also I have seen jumps spikes in temp as well occasionaly..

I will post pics of temp and the original paste before I touched anything and after paste below:

(these are the Default Original Paste before I changed anything)

3 pictures

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Here is when I repasted with Mx-4:

2 pictures

Here is temps AFTER the Repaste:

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

MX4 is fine on the CPU & GPU heatsinks as long as you don't overdo it so it oozes beyond the chip onto board components. If you re-do it, I'd stay with the MX4 as it's a proven known quantity. MX6 seems like only a slight improvement in advertisements if you can believe them.

The pink paste or gum should be non-conductive and a substitute for the pads. Sounds like the K5Pro is an OK substitute. However is the pink gum still usable?

Jack E/NJ

• Napkins
    Napkins Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Ok on the note of using the Mx-4 again, well, I am really really curious to try the MX-6 but yes I agree with you it will probably be 1*C difference haha..

and on the note of using K5 for the Vrams, well I guess I need to try it, It also seems like I am supposed to put the K5 paste on where those green pads are..