Can I have two SSD drives in a pc PO3-620 And is it possible to have an SSD drive in an HDD slot?

WindlessCarpet
WindlessCarpet Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hello,

I've recently bought a few games, but I've came to a realise that I can't download one of them because my C-Drive has no storage left. I'm kind of planning to buy another hard drive, and decided to buy one of the SSD drives. When I purchased the pc, there was only one Hard Drive, (C-Drive SSD). Since I'm really into games, would it be really nice that I could be able to have two hard drives. When reading the handbook, it said that there were two non-used HDD slots. My question is, is it possible to have 2 SSD drives (C and D-drive) and put one of them into an HDD slot? And is it possible to have a SSD drive in a HDD slot? I'm not planning on replacing the current SSD, but adding another SSD into my pc.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Yes. You actually have 3 unused SSD/HDD slots. One of the empty ones may be an m.2 card SSD slot. If so, then probably the easiest, cheapest and highest-speed choice would be to add an m.2 nvme SSD card up to 2TB capacity. Alternately, you could also add a 3.5" SSD up to 2TB capacity but may be somewhat slower than the NVME card. The m.2 NVME cards are probably cheaper than the slower 3.5" SSD of equal capacity. So if it was mine, I'd go for the m.2 card if the slot empty. It should automatically show up as the D : drive after formatting.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

On this diagram of your motherboard:

#23 is the M.2 SSD slot, and likely holds your existing SSD. #15, 16 and 17 are the SATA connectors, suitable for either SATA HDDs or SSDs. #8 and 9 are the power connectors for SATA drives. One of those is likely already connected to the HDD bay:

along with SATA date cables. You probably just need to mount the drives into the holders (1 on that last image) and plug the new drive into the case (all with power off, of course). You might need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter if you are putting SSDs into those slots...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Yes. You actually have 3 unused SSD/HDD slots. One of the empty ones may be an m.2 card SSD slot. If so, then probably the easiest, cheapest and highest-speed choice would be to add an m.2 nvme SSD card up to 2TB capacity. Alternately, you could also add a 3.5" SSD up to 2TB capacity but may be somewhat slower than the NVME card. The m.2 NVME cards are probably cheaper than the slower 3.5" SSD of equal capacity. So if it was mine, I'd go for the m.2 card if the slot empty. It should automatically show up as the D : drive after formatting.

Jack E/NJ