Acer Aspire 3 315-58-73B5 New laptop - No sound from R speaker

Shinou
Shinou Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Acer Aspire 3 Model: 315-58-73B5

(This is new but as it was a gift I didn't receive immediately after purchase and I tend to use headphones, it took a while to notice the problem and we're past the return date. Also one of the first things I did after I got it was upgrade the RAM and SSD so the warranty is almost certainly void so I'd like to try and fix this myself if I can).

I think my problem is with some internal component, I'm just not sure what...

I get no sound from the Right side speaker at all.

Headphones, perfect.

Left side internal speaker, perfect.

Right side internal speaker, dead.

I checked all my audio settings. I checked the audio driver - updating it, rolling it back, uninstalling it... nothing helps.

I figured maybes the speaker was just dodgy so I got the part number, ordered a new one, fitted it and... Nothing. Still no sound from the R speaker.

My questions are; is there anything else I've neglected to check in Windows/BIOS/RealTek settings that might get it working.

And/or

If something internal is bust.... What? What do I need to replace?

I'll attach an image of what my laptop looks like on the inside just in case someone says 'it's probably this thing' and I'm not sure what you're talking about and then you can direct me to the spot on the image. XD

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The USB board ribbon cable connector to the mainboard probably needs to be reseated a few times to help clean/secure all of its contacts with the mainboard. Unplug charger and disconnect battery when doing this. Replacement boards are used in many models and only cost about $20-25 ifneeded. Google search part no. 55.A6MN2.001. Remove the screw at the top of the board and lift it out if you replace it.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓

The USB board ribbon cable connector to the mainboard probably needs to be reseated a few times to help clean/secure all of its contacts with the mainboard. Unplug charger and disconnect battery when doing this. Replacement boards are used in many models and only cost about $20-25 ifneeded. Google search part no. 55.A6MN2.001. Remove the screw at the top of the board and lift it out if you replace it.

Jack E/NJ

• Shinou

Tinkerer

Replacing that part worked. :) Must've been a faulty headphone jack.

• JackE
    edited February 2023

>>>Headphones, perfect.>>>

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back.But before using the headphones again, were they standard wired 3.5mm plug headphones before? Some 3.5mm barrel plugs with misaligned rings, tips or sleeves are known to damage the spring-loaded arm inside the jack that turns the internal speakers on and off.

Jack E/NJ

• Shinou

Tinkerer

Yes.

But the sound problems with R internal speaker existed before I used headphones for the first time.

• JackE

>>>I tend to use headphones, it took a while to notice the problem>>>

OK. But wasn't sure that you did notice it before using the headphones from the comments in your first post. As long as the plug's contacts seem aligned between the ring insulators, should be OK.

Jack E/NJ