Asked but not answered....How to make the on-screen indicators work for the two buttons.

canyncarvr
canyncarvr Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire Laptops

..not that I've found, anyway.

Lots of questions regarding the on-screen indicator for caps/num lock, but nowhere is it said how to make them WORK if they don't. I find 'kill the QAAdmin process' using task manager. That's fine for getting RID of the tool, but not how to get it BACK. 'You should have sent the laptop to Acer for repair...' is another one I've read. Honestly? Anyone would do that for an OS reload?

My e5-576g gave me a BSOD. No recovery possible. A DVD recovery disc I made when I got the machine rendered 'corrupt' when I tried to access it. It was reloaded from a MS Windows-10 disc. I have loaded every ACER driver based on the recognition of my laptop, complete with serial number.

I can invoke the 'alert' function...a couple of beeps for on/off for each button...but that's an MS thing.

The point of the rant is to preclude silly responses like, 'You should'a sent it to Acer!' and the like. What I'm looking for is an answer to the question: How to make the on-screen indicators work for the two buttons.

IS there an answer?

Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Best Answers

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

that indicator is a feature of an app called Quick Access Application.

have you tried to reinstall that app? go to acer support and download the latest version available for your device.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>I have loaded every ACER driver based on the recognition of my laptop, complete with serial number.>>>

Yes, this comment sort of threw me off. Go to this link. Click the app tab. Download and install both the Quick Access and Acer Care Center apps. They might not be fully functional because in some cases they rely on OEM Windows system library files that may not be the same in the generic Microsoft Windows edition. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

>>>My e5-576g gave me a BSOD. No recovery possible.>>>

If you still used the same boot drive, did you try the ALT+F10 cold boot method to reset the machine from the hidden factory reset partition?

Jack E/NJ

• canyncarvr

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

As noted above, 'No recovery possible.' ...as if the MBR was bad (if that's what they all the front end of an SSD), the SSD was non-compos-poopus.

What was not done is not the question.

• JackE

Sorry, I'm trying to determine if you're still using the same SSD with the possibility that the hidden reset partition is still intact. The ALT+F10 reset method operates at the BIOS level and only cares about the viability of that partition, not how much the rest of the disk is screwed up.

Jack E/NJ

• canyncarvr

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

The hidden reset partition is NO LONGER intact. A 'fresh' install of W10 (22H1) was done by a local shop. I had NO recovery tools available to use at the time of the BSOD. The recovery optical disk I made when I got the machine would not boot. I could not boot to a command prompt to run RSTRUI. Windows recovery attempts (trying to fix this and that) did not work. A recovery USB I had made did not work. By 'did not work' I mean I accessed the UEFI to change the boot order, but could NOT do that because ONLY the HD1/micron/SATA-III/ 2280 stick was shown. I could not CHOOSE another device. I could NOT change the boot order in that case. AFTER the reload, I tried to boot to both 'recovery' devices I had made (USB and optical DVD): Neither of them worked, both said to be 'corrupt'.

AFTER the reload, the UEFI does now show all the options for boot...the empty HD0 (the 2.5" option), the SSD-stick as HD1, USB, and Optical drive.

I do not know why the UEFI did not list, at the time of failure, other boot options. Seeing as it is NOT a BIOS, NOT a firmware thing, but merely a file, maybe the .efi file was bad.

That is water under the bridge now. The 22H1 load I have on this laptop now does NOT work as the OEM load did...and, as said, every update listed by Acer for this machine has been done. IF there is a QAAdmin feature that can be loaded to make the caps/num-lock keys work as originally intended, that should be part of the downloads suggested by Acer. At the very least, make that feature available SOMEWHERE, which is what I am asking about.

I have not found it yet.

• rich1974

if i got it right: are you asking for an indicator to show you that caps lock and num lock are active?

• canyncarvr

Tinkerer

The answer to your question is, 'No.' Not AN indicator but a specific indicator.

I am asking that the original indicator function (part of the OS load as received from Acer), the caps lock and/or num lock indicator (the unlock/lock icon displayed on the screen), be restored.

Windows 10 22H1 does not support that display function.

• rich1974
    Answer ✓

that indicator is a feature of an app called Quick Access Application.

have you tried to reinstall that app? go to acer support and download the latest version available for your device.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>I have loaded every ACER driver based on the recognition of my laptop, complete with serial number.>>>

Yes, this comment sort of threw me off. Go to this link. Click the app tab. Download and install both the Quick Access and Acer Care Center apps. They might not be fully functional because in some cases they rely on OEM Windows system library files that may not be the same in the generic Microsoft Windows edition. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• canyncarvr

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

Aha. I mentioned something similar in the first post...QAAdmin some authors call their version...>Agent/Applicaton or will do.

Yes. Words mean things. I did say 'driver'..I did NOT say applications, patches, or OS. Clearly a look into the 'Applications' section is what any reasonably intelligent person would have done. I do NOT claim that distinction! ;)

And, yes. I understand the whole library bit and how it may effect the issue. Indeed, the Acer Care Center app does not run...complains of missing a path or file. It would be nice if it worked, but it NOT working is not a huge problem.

The caps/num lock keys DO now show status on the screen! THAT is the resolution to the original question.

A huge thank you to you both for your kindness and patience in pointing out where I'd already been...but had obviously missed the obvious.

• rich1974

the reality is that the num and caps lock keys should have had led light incorporated. it is a feature that acer laptops is missing.

I have a hp laptop witch has a light in the caps key.