Acer Aspire TC-1760 install or dual boot to windows7 gets to this screen then freezes.

a_west_wood
a_west_wood Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

our business just purchased the above with the following specs:

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400  2.50 GHz

RAM 12.0 GB

SSD 512 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Home

Version 22H2

OS build 22621.819

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22636.1000.0

we use specific software to control old cnc machines that require direct connection to the computer which run under windows7.

I don't really want to use virtual machine since the hardware is very fussy about its usb connection to windows.

Is it possible to dual boot this computer with windows 7? i had such a hard time getting a bootup flash drive formatted with rufus to become visible.

finally was able to do so by disabling secure boot, formatting the usb bootdrive with uefi gpt partition scheme, fat32 etc etc

followed this guide

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows | Windows 8 Help Forums (eightforums.com)

created and formatted a partition for windows7 out of the 512Gb ssd that's currently running windows11/

disabled secure boot in the bios (runing acer ver 2.22 1282)

changed the boot order, hard disk priority...

finally get the mb to recognize the usb, says its loading windows7. get's to this screen then freezes.

I've tried multiple usb drives, multiple usb ports in the back and one in front

any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Nope, the chipset manufacturers wouldn't have written W7 drivers for that new of a design. Can you run W7 is a VM and get it working that way?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey

Yeah, there aren't chipset drivers for W7, so if you can get it at all it will be very flaky. Maybe a Raspberry Pi running something like LinuxCNC and have the PC talk to it?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • a_west_wood

Tinkerer

hey thanks for the info

unfortunately i don't know anything about raspberry pi and that would be something else to purchase. this computer was bought in order to upgrade an older machine that was doing the job before it died.

would it be possible to find window7 chipset drivers from one of the last acer boards to support that os and try to slip stream it into a usb windows7 installer? Or is the tx-1760 chipset completely different from anything before? if not, as a guess, what acer board chipset drivers do you all think would work with the current computer?

Thanks

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Nope, the chipset manufacturers wouldn't have written W7 drivers for that new of a design. Can you run W7 is a VM and get it working that way?

• a_west_wood

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

yes. Have done that already. Using oracle based vm (Virtual Box 6.140) but its quirky and another software layer for our employee to learn. would have been better to just to put win7 on the machine.

Thanks for the information and replies.