Aspire A515-56 I cannot boot into the bios after installing ssd.

amoson1
amoson1 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire Laptops

I have a Acer Aspire A515-56 which has a ssd nvme.l installed a sata ssd for more storage which showed up on my laptop alright and l moved folders into it.The trouble l'm having is l cannot boot into the bios with the ssd installed,it freezes at the Acer logo but if I remove the ssd I can once again access the bios.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,432 Trailblazer
    1. Let it boot to Windows.
    2. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'.
    3. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane.
    4. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near top of next pane.
    5. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Save settings.
    6. Shut down Windows normally.
    7. Wait a minute or so, then turn laptop back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. Don't wait for the Acer logo to appear.
    8. Check to make sure new drive shows up in BIOS Information page. Press F10 to save settings and exit.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

Can you tell me the model of the sata ssd?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • amoson1

Tinkerer

• JackE

>>>l installed a sata ssd >>>

Is this a new SSD? What brand model number?

Jack E/NJ

• amoson1

Tinkerer

Yes it is,Crucial MX500 250GB SATA 2.5-inch Internal SSD, 250, CT250MX500SSD1

• amoson1

Tinkerer

l got it sorted,l reinstalled Windows 10 then reinstalled the ssd and it works as it should now.

Thanks for your input,much appreciated.

• JackE

Congrats. Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ

• amoson1

Tinkerer

Unfortunately this did not solve my problem.

• amoson1

Tinkerer

Crucial MX500 250GB SATA 2.5-inch Internal SSD, 250, CT250MX500SSD1

• OK! It might be a problem related to the vmd controller. Perform this procedure:

a) unplug the mx500 ssd and turn on the computer.

b) go to power options and disable fast startup.

c) then press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system initialization, activate safeboot and restart windows.

d) access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl+s and disable the vmd controller.

e) press f10 to save and exit, then shut down the computer and install the mx500 ssd.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)