Plugged but not charging (Swift SF314-54G) Is there anything useful I could do?

Rickrick
Rickrick Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi, I have a somewhat new computer, perhaps from 2019 or even 2020, cant remember. As my previous Acer, problems arise with chargers, powers and stuff like that, so this is my last ACER for the next years. Acer is over for me :(

THE PROBLEM: when I plug in the charger, the computer doesnt detect that it is charging, and in fact it is not charging. Its like there is not charger connected to it. An electrician took my charger and found it was ok, so the problem must be inside my computer. The problem is increasing because now its more the times that it detects no connection/charging than the otherwise (right now I am lucky enough and it is charging). Its a flickery problem, sometimes I have it sometimes not.

Also, recently I upgraded to Windows 11, but I dont think its that the problem.

Is there anything useful I could do?

by the way: why acer uses stupid screws nobody can open? I must buy specific screwdrivers for it!! Why not normal screws??

Thanks for your help

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

The power jack on your SF314-54G is held in place by the hinge assembly on that side and has a short cable that runs to the motherboard. With these thin and light laptops the hinges can pull loose from the case if you have been opening them too fast or off center. When the hinge is loose the power jack is also loose and you get those symptoms. You are out of warranty so the best next step is likely going to be to try and fix it yourself. If you are uncomfortable with tearing your laptop down any decent repair tech can do it for you. You will need to open it up, disconnect the battery, remove the hinge screws and inspect. If the issue is only the loose hinge you can use a little epoxy to rebuild the hinge mounts then reseat the screws, holding the jack tight again. If the jack itself has started to fail then in addition you will want to replace it:

Since yours it the G model it uses a 65W power supply, so either of the first two will work. I believe the only difference between the two part numbers is the supplier.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rickrick
    Rickrick Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi! Thanks for your help. I took the pc to a friend who was able to confirm that the problem was not in the computer but in the charger itself. He was even able to open the charger and fix broken cable and indeed my laptop now charges again.

Thanks for your complete answer and help provided!