AN515-45 Battery and Power light blink when laptop is on and plugged in & keeps discharging.

SamSB94
SamSB94 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Nitro Gaming

Model: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45

Battery light and Power light keeps blinking when turned on. Battery does not charge when plugged in while laptop is turned on. Is able to charge when laptop is switched off.

Things tried:

1. Uninstalled the battery driver and restarted

2. Switched off USB charging from Acer Quick Access

3. Battery reset switch absent, and battery is internal, so removed the charger, pressed the power key for 5-10 secs until the laptop turned off, and then waited 15 mins and plugged the charger back in and waited for the laptop to recharge. Booted up after 2 hours since I got impatient that the battery full indicator wasn't coming, but the problem still stays.

Clearly not a battery issue or a charger issue since it is charging when the laptop is switched off. What I can do or redo to resolve this?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.

(2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.

(3) Click run as administrator.

(4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.

(5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.

(6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

(7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

Screenshot of the first part of the battery report

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

@JackE

Also, after pressing the power button for 1 min, I waited for 30 mins for the power to drain out, and then reconnected the charger. Once the battery indicator was a steady amber, I waited for it turn steady blue, before powering on my laptop again. But the problem keeps persisting. I plan to open up the back and manually disconnect and reconnect the battery next.

Also, the charger is now directly connected to the wall socket.

Please let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

• JackE

>>>Battery reset switch absent, and battery is internal, so removed the charger, pressed the power key for 5-10 secs until the laptop turned off, and then waited 15 mins and plugged the charger back in and waited for the laptop to recharge.>>>

With charger unplugged, press & hold power button again but for 60 seconds this time. Then plug charger back in and wait for battery charge LED to turn steady blue again before turning it back on.

Jack E/NJ

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

Hi @JackE , if you see my last comment, I already tried that. No fruitful result.

• JackE

>>>>I got impatient that the battery full indicator wasn't coming>>>Once the battery indicator was a steady amber, I waited for it turn steady blue, before powering on my laptop again>>>

Yes but did it ever turn steady blue? How long did it take?

Jack E/NJ

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

Also, after pressing the power button for 1 min, I waited for 30 mins for the power to drain out, and then reconnected the charger. Once the battery indicator was a steady amber, I waited for it turn steady blue, before powering on my laptop again. But the problem keeps persisting. I plan to open up the back and manually disconnect and reconnect the battery next.

Also, the charger is now directly connected to the wall socket.

Please let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

Sorry if you were unable to see this for some reason.

It took around 3-4 hours of charging, give or take.

• JackE

>>>It took around 3-4 hours of charging, give or take.>>>

Yes, i saw this but wasn't sure if it actually turned blue for orange.

If it actually took 3-4 hours before it turned from steady orange to steady blue, the battery must've been in a very low charge state.

And if the battery and power LEDs still blink when turned on, a hardware issue is likely. Either with the battery's own internal charge regulator--- or--- the charger is unable to simultaneously charge the battery and run Windows on at the same time---or--- an excessive power load or drain while running that's overloading the charger.

Does the charger feel hot when the laptop is running?

Jack E/NJ

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

The charger brick feels normal, not overly hot.

What do you suggest on doing next?

• SamSB94

Tinkerer

Also, another thing I'm observing now is that when I press the power button for 60 seconds, and then replug in the charger, the battery light initially becomes steady amber, but then after some time, it goes back to blinking along with the blinking blue power light, and the laptop stops charging from that point onwards.

• JackE

>>>>Also, after pressing the power button for 1 min, I waited for 30 mins for the power to drain out, and then reconnected the charger. Once the battery indicator was a steady amber, I waited for it turn steady blue, before powering on my laptop again.

>>>Also, another thing I'm observing now is that when I press the power button for 60 seconds, and then replug in the charger, the battery light initially becomes steady amber, but then after some time, it goes back to blinking along with the blinking blue power light,>>>

You also mentioned this earlier. Long pressing the power button has the same effect as temporarily disconnecting the battery from the circuit. Solid then blinking LEDs after a few minutes most likely suggest a cell problem detected by the battery pack's onw internal charge regulator. If you have a multimeter, what is the output voltage output between its mainboard connector pins?

Jack E/NJ