edited December 2022 in Nitro Gaming

I have acer nitro 5 model AN515-54-71J6

Windows 10 Home

Intel® Core™ i7-9750H processor Hexa-core 2.60 GHz

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 3 GB dedicated memory

15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS

12 GB, DDR4 SDRAM

1 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD

It struggles in all the games I try to play. Always turning down grafix and can't even play games at 1080p always shrink them to 1366x768 to barley get 60fps is the version able to be upgraded? Gtx1050 grafix card is so weak, can it be upgraded? Or do I need a new motherboard? Can my ram be upgraded I am not happy with the $1200+ I spent on this before taxes. Can anyone help with these questions? Please

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

GameGuy, if you are a gamer, you should have known what GPU is best for your gaming! As the GTX1050 is not a real crash hot GPU, in saying all that I know that its too late for your Nitro AN515-53 that you have😀 but you can’t change/upgrade the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 3 GB GPU as this GPU is soldered onto the motherboard and it can’t be changed (well it can but it would be very expensive) as a better and like the top AN515-54 GPU GTX-1660Ti chip soldered onto this motherboard is very hard to get and maybe not available and it would also be financially unviable to upgrade the GTX1050 GPU to a GTX1660Ti that is available for the upper spec AN515-54s.

The only way to change this GPU is to change the whole motherboard with a higher spec AN515-54 laptop motherboard “that is if you can get one” as it would be very expensive (inquire at Acer in your area or look on the web for the below OEM and better mobo that I've listed) or just buy another more modern Nitro 5 laptop that has a much better gaming GPU like the RTX range of GPUs.

The top spec AN515-54 laptops that had a better GPU and is compatible with a straight swap motherboard for your AN515-54 is the "Mainboard AN515-54 Intel Ci79750H HM370 N18EG0 6GB GDDR6 (2C*256*16*6) (GTX1660Ti) - Acer part#:NB.Q5B11.004" while your motherboard is the "Mainboard AN515-54 Intel Ci79750H HM370 N17PG0-K1 3GB GDDR5 (256*32*3) 8Gpbs (GTX1050) -Acer part#: NB.Q5A11.004" which are two different motherboards.

With the RAM, the Crucial System Scan is a very accurate scan as whatever Crucial recommends they guarantee that it will work (with their products and specs) e.g. and like either the 32GB or 64GB total RAM at either 2x 16GB or 2x 32GB modules for a total of either 32GB or 64GB memory, as this will make your laptop operate at  ”Dual Channel” mode which is the best for gamin/editing and all high end usage, as the OEM AN515-54  provided memory from Acer is 12GB (which is very strange) to put 1 x 8 GB + 1 x 4 GB modules. I would definitely change that to 2x by equal and like 16GB modules for a total of 32GB at DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8 • PC4-25600

Or the max and total for the AN515-54 with the Crucial max recommended 64GB at 2x 32GB Crucial Ballistix SODIMM 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 Gaming Memory (Black) - DDR4 PC4-25600 • CL=16 • Dual Ranked • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-3200 • 1.35V. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are all the mobos fitted to the Nitro 5 AN515-54 and their part numbers:

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@GameGuy

Kindly go through the details from the link given below to gain fps

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2

@GameGuy

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    edited November 2022

@GameGuy

First of all we need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Here are some of the steps to increase the performance on your computer.  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type msconfig - click ok  

click on services

check - hide all microsoft services 

click on disable all

click on startup 

disable all the startup items 

click on apply - ok - restart the computer.   Loading process will be very fast now..

Note: You can always enable the services and startup items later or set it to normal startup from selective startup later on the General tab  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl - click ok  

it will show you the list of programs

remove all the unwanted third party programs. 

Please don’t remove any drivers.  

If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r - on the run window type temp - click ok - it will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type %temp% - click ok - It will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok

click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail

Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 

click on yes 

on the blue or black window type sfc /scannow 

It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset 

open chrome

click on three dots on top right corner 

click on settings

Scroll down - go to advanced

click on restore setting to default

you will see reset settings - cancel

click on reset settings 

Open chrome 

it will work faster now

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything

chose keep my files 

chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 

It will be in progress.. 

login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

chose remove everything 

click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset

It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) - all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos will still be intact.  Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset ( remove everything ) - you are doing a factory default.  It will become like a day one computer.  It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

click on keep my files ( only applications will be lost )  chose your account and type your password  - click on local reinstall - click on reset

It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

Even after reinstalling windows if you face the same issue then it is a hardware issue.

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.   Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - click on "contact support". Scroll down. You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - Click on "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.  There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store: Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• GameGuy
    GameGuy Member Posts: 4 New User

I'll try these. Thanks. It will take me some time to figure this out even a day or 2. It's 2 am and I've been messing with the cpu a few days now trying to play warzone 2.0 I just deleted it and said the hell with it. Was hoping for a more direct answer but thanks for taking the time with such detailed info. I'll have to get back to you when I can try and troubleshoot all these methods out.

• GameGuy

Just tried Crucial. it gave me recommendations to upgrade RAM DDR4 32GB OR TIMES 2 slots for 64GB total, but I didn't see any options for my video card. Does that mean it's not possible to upgrade the GTX1050? Am sure the extra RAM will help because in my in-game settings I have a RAM usage gauge it's usually redline line when I set everything to low. I should be able to get away with more textures and Graphix in theory, but will it be worth it if I can't upgrade my graphex card? personal thoughts?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

GameGuy, if you are a gamer, you should have known what GPU is best for your gaming! As the GTX1050 is not a real crash hot GPU, in saying all that I know that its too late for your Nitro AN515-53 that you have😀 but you can’t change/upgrade the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 3 GB GPU as this GPU is soldered onto the motherboard and it can’t be changed (well it can but it would be very expensive) as a better and like the top AN515-54 GPU GTX-1660Ti chip soldered onto this motherboard is very hard to get and maybe not available and it would also be financially unviable to upgrade the GTX1050 GPU to a GTX1660Ti that is available for the upper spec AN515-54s.

The only way to change this GPU is to change the whole motherboard with a higher spec AN515-54 laptop motherboard “that is if you can get one” as it would be very expensive (inquire at Acer in your area or look on the web for the below OEM and better mobo that I've listed) or just buy another more modern Nitro 5 laptop that has a much better gaming GPU like the RTX range of GPUs.

The top spec AN515-54 laptops that had a better GPU and is compatible with a straight swap motherboard for your AN515-54 is the "Mainboard AN515-54 Intel Ci79750H HM370 N18EG0 6GB GDDR6 (2C*256*16*6) (GTX1660Ti) - Acer part#:NB.Q5B11.004" while your motherboard is the "Mainboard AN515-54 Intel Ci79750H HM370 N17PG0-K1 3GB GDDR5 (256*32*3) 8Gpbs (GTX1050) -Acer part#: NB.Q5A11.004" which are two different motherboards.

With the RAM, the Crucial System Scan is a very accurate scan as whatever Crucial recommends they guarantee that it will work (with their products and specs) e.g. and like either the 32GB or 64GB total RAM at either 2x 16GB or 2x 32GB modules for a total of either 32GB or 64GB memory, as this will make your laptop operate at  ”Dual Channel” mode which is the best for gamin/editing and all high end usage, as the OEM AN515-54  provided memory from Acer is 12GB (which is very strange) to put 1 x 8 GB + 1 x 4 GB modules. I would definitely change that to 2x by equal and like 16GB modules for a total of 32GB at DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8 • PC4-25600

Or the max and total for the AN515-54 with the Crucial max recommended 64GB at 2x 32GB Crucial Ballistix SODIMM 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 Gaming Memory (Black) - DDR4 PC4-25600 • CL=16 • Dual Ranked • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-3200 • 1.35V. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are all the mobos fitted to the Nitro 5 AN515-54 and their part numbers:

• GameGuy

lol I am a gamer but not really a computer or tech wiz. Am kind of learning as I go, especially through this community. I actually bought it out of impulse at Walmart around 3 years ago during Covid. Walmart was one of the first places opened at the time of lock down. I was board and had won some money online gambling and just wanted out of the house at the time... I Should have taken my time at a real CPU store and got more info first but nothing else was open and now here we are... lol You're right about having a hard time finding Mainboard N18EG0 #NB. Q5B11.004 [GTX1660Ti] anywhere for sale or the price of it. Making it hard to compare the price of buying it plus installation because I lack the tools and skills currently :( Am not sure what you mean by OEM don't know the lingo just yet still learning. Does OEM stand for something? Did you happen to see a price on this when you looked for me? did you see it available? let me know if you remember please I haven't had any luck. Thanks for all this info very informative. I appreciate the efforts.