can I install a 4 tb M2 drive in an acer predator helios 300 PH315-54-78WN

KanagawaTomasu
KanagawaTomasu Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited December 2022 in Predator Laptops

What is the largest M2 Drive that I can install in an Acer Predator Helios 300?

I have not found conclusive answers to this question.

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please post the full model name, like PH3xx-xx, if you have PH317-53, you may be able use 4TB SSD as long as they are of GPT partition style, Crucial also advertise 4TB as compatible for PH315-53 model.

Acer Predator PH315-53 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial UK

• KanagawaTomasu
    edited November 2022

Acer Predator Helios 300 (2021 Year Model)

PH315-54-78WN

There you have it.

Thanks for your reply.

• KanagawaTomasu

By the way, (as usual) This laptop has 2 (two) M2 NVMe Drive slots and a slot for an SATA SSD or HDD.

I gather that the SSD/HDD slot is limited to Drives with a 7 mm Z-height. I am presently running a 2 TB HDD.

I gather that late model SATA SSDs do not increase in thickness at 4 TB. (2.5" SATA Hard Drives DO increase in Z-hight (thickness) with the larger capacity drives.) I might consider installing a 2 or 4 TB SATA SSD at a later date.

Thanks again.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

No problem, yes you can use 2x2TB M.2 SSD drives and a 4TB 2.5" SATA SSD in the HDD bay.

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-731M | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial UK

• Reytak
    Reytak Member Posts: 3 New User

Has anyone actually tried to install a 2TB or larger m.2 drive in slot 2 as a youtuber pointed out that due to components on the motherboard he was not able to install his drives.

That would be of concern to me.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/WP3pK-x4ta4?t=291

• KanagawaTomasu

I have last year's model (2021). I have 2, 1 TB M2 drives installed, the standard battery and the HDD/SSD slot. I listened to the video. That guy has done LOTS of laptop reviews. Even so, it seems odd to me that a 2 TB drive would not fit.

I did not notice issues with clutter under my M2 drives. (There IS but . . . ) I never thought a larger M2 drive would not fit because of having chips on both sides.

• Reytak

Yeah, unfortunately I would need a reply from someone with a 2022 model as you having a different year device with different hardware layout means it's in all intents and purposes a different machine so I can't go off of that info.

I personally don't care about battery life, it would be for gaming only and therefore plugged in all the time, I like the 2021 idea with an extra ssd slot, I would have out a 2TB in there too, hehe.

I appreciate the reply though.

Yeah, that youtuber does know what he is talking about and I can clearly see the "mound" of components underneath that second m.2 slot which is unfortunate.

Still deciding on what to do but there is a Legion 5 Pro albeit with 6800h at basically the same price here in the UK.

I would rather the 12700h but then the lenovo has the nice panel so all in all balanced out they are nearly the same and both nice machines.

• KanagawaTomasu

I don't know about the Legion 5 model that you mentioned, but I really like my Acer Predator Helios. I have had it for almost a year now.

(I still have not used that 2nd M2 drive. I plan to put MS Flight Simulator on it, eventually. . . .)

It's your call about that M2 drive issue. Go with the laptop that suits you.

Good luck.

• KanagawaTomasu

Looking at photos of my board, before upgrades . . . It appears that I would have the very same problem. There is a USB controller and another chip, both are halfway in the space where my 2nd M2 drive is fastened down.

I wanted to buy the 2 TB version of the Predator drive. That would have been a nasty surprise, to find out it does not fit. (Good thing It was too expensive at the time.) Sorry, I can't get the photo to upload here.

As in the video you posted, there is plenty of space under the original drive.

• Reytak

Interesting, yeah, if you are only going to use a single 2tb+ drive and the original 1tb then you can of course swap slots.

It seems a bit of an oversight with the design, to give you an amazing laptop with such a "disability" ie limitation on drive size you can install. I hope the Lenovo 5 Pro doesn't have a similar issue, will see, 2 weeks wait on the order.

• KanagawaTomasu

Here you can see the blue chips which are partly concealed under the 1 TB Predator M2 drive. (My 2nd M2 slot) If the drive had chips on the other side, it probably would NOT fit there.

TAKE NOTE! before you buy a 2 TB drive for this slot.

• KanagawaTomasu

Looking a specs and photos it "appears" as though the 2TB version of this GM7000 Predator M2 drive ONLY has chips on ONE side,

and therefore would fit this board's 2nd M2 slot. Can someone confirm my suspicion? Anyone posses a 2TB Predator M2 drive?

• KanagawaTomasu

I gather that the 2 TB Predator M2 drive DOES have Nand Flash chips on BOTH sides. So it probably will NOT fit on this board in the #2 M2 Drive slot.

So HEADS UP!