Where can I find serial I/O driver? (Touchpad not working)

beauxeault
beauxeault Member Posts: 4 New User

My touchpad is not working. When I turn the laptop on, an icon is briefly displayed that shows a touchpad with a red circle with a line through it in the lower left corner. I've tried installing the latest driver on Acer's page of drivers for my laptop, but at the top of the list of drivers, it says "Before you install the touchpad driver, first install the serial I/O driver." But there is no serial I/O driver on that page and I have not been able to find one by searching. Anyone know how to resolve this?

My laptop is a Swift X14-41G.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

First of all, are you sure you don't just have the touchpad turned off? On the SFX14-41G models the F7 (or Fn-F7 if media keys are off) toggles the touchpad. If you have it turned off it will act as you are seeing, regardless of the driver status. :) IIRC the Serial IO drivers are part of the chipset driver package...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Hi beauxeault

What is the full model number of your laptop?

• beauxeault

Full model number = SFX14-41G-R1S6 (could be -R156, but I think it's -R1S6)

• Jajoo
    Jajoo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

You need to enter your device serial number, SNID or model number

Or here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/drivers

• beauxeault

Thanks, Jajoo, but those links take me to the page of drivers that does not contain a serial I/O driver in the list. Unless it's named something other than "Serial I/O driver."

• billsey
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

First of all, are you sure you don't just have the touchpad turned off? On the SFX14-41G models the F7 (or Fn-F7 if media keys are off) toggles the touchpad. If you have it turned off it will act as you are seeing, regardless of the driver status. :) IIRC the Serial IO drivers are part of the chipset driver package...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • beauxeault

Bingo, billsey! Man, do I feel stupid now. Thanks for the help.

• billsey

No need to feel stupid, after all, who reads the User Manual, especially when you have to find it online first. :)