BIOS update for Gateway GWTN156-11BK ,Any idea how to find download link for BIOS files

infectedw
infectedw Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Hello,

I have problems with my Laptop and I'm trying to find BIOS downloads to check if I have latest BIOS but after searching for 2 hours plus didn't manage to find anything, only thing that I found is at gatewayusa.com but there is nothing around BIOS only few drivers.

I found some BIOS update but it's a sketchy site and I didn't trust him.

Any idea how to find download link for BIOS files? Thanks.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Why do you want to update the BIOS? What issues do you have?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    According to Gateway's support site there aren't any new BIOS versions yet for the GWTN156-11 models. As suggested we might better help if we knew what issues you are having. BIOS updates are usually only for some specific problems and not a panacea for other ills.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • infectedw
    So the problem is next:

Starting laptop might lead to Windows 111 BSOD with problem referring to rtwlanu problem, next when it finally boot after 2-3 times of BSOD it works normally, after going to sleep or closing lid laptop literally die, I get green light blinking on top where ESC key is located but clicking power button does nothing, literally nothing, only thing that works is pressing power button and holding it to force shutdown laptop and then running it again then I encounter BSOD's again.

Things I did:

1. Fresh Windows 11 installation but don't seems to fix anything.
    2. Reading minidump leads that every BSOD is rtwlanu.sys related, disabling Wi-Fi driver in Device Manager didn't fix the problem.
    3. BIOS reset from BIOS = No fix, resetting BIOS by disconnecting charger then force pressing power button for 45 seconds = no fix.
    4. Disable sleep mode which fixes sleep mode problem, but client specifically want's sleep mode because the way he use laptop he needs it mostly.

The last thing before sending it back to shop where I bought I wanted to try and do BIOS update and see if it helps but it seems that I'm gonna send back and let them send me new brand one.
  • billsey
    There seem to be lots of hits when searching for W11 issues with the rtwlanu.sys driver files. The BIOS won't fix that, and neither will a Windows 11 reinstall. Only a fixed driver will help. Since the GWTN156-11 models are Walmart exclusives, all support is supposed to go through them. Which WLAN device is installed in the system? Intel, Realtek, ???

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • infectedw
    Installed Wireless Device since it says rtwlanu.sys is related to Realtek Wireless, so laptop have Realtek Wireless card installed. Thing is I'm from Serbia and this is somehow laptops shipped to specific seller in Serbia who sold customer and now they cannot provide any support, literally any, so I have to send it back and they told me that I will get new one in exchange for this broken one. Today I did again before sending back some testing which lead on same error and same problem.
  • Can you send a screenshot from device manager?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • infectedw
    I can't now, laptop is sent back to seller and we are waiting for them to see and inform us what's happening with laptop.
  • MAGICO23
    MAGICO23 Member Posts: 1 New User

HELLO..

my name ir Cristian de Ecuador

I have a problem with the same model

It happens that this laptop turns off when starting the Operating System.

Checking I realize that the laptop turns off when it calls the disk

Clean the disk from the DISKPART delete all the partitions and try to Install the OS. but still when trying to install it turns off.

The detail is that if I turn on the laptop and enter the BIOS and leave it there in the bios, the laptop does not turn off.

For this reason I wanted to update the BIOS to see if the problem is solved

• billsey

Much more likely there is a problem with your hard drive, causing the over current protection to kick in when it's accessed. Try a different drive or contact your vendor for support.